Exploring Equation of a Straight Line in 3D Space

In summary: No, your assumption is not correct. Cross multiplying the terms in the equation of a line does not result in an equation of a plane. The equation (x-x1)/a = (y-y1)/b = (z-z1)/c is still an equation of a line, but in a different form. It is not an equation of a plane. To get an equation of a plane, you need three linear equations in three variables, not just two equations as in the case of a line. So your approach is not correct.
sachin
Homework Statement
Can (y+z)x1=(y1+z1)x be an equation of a straight line in 3 dimensional space?
Relevant Equations
(x-x1)/a = (y-y1)/b = (z-z1)/c
Can we say,

(y + z ) x1 = (y1 + z1) x is also an equation of a straight line in 3 dimensional space,
where (x1,y1,z1) and (x,y,z) are the coordinates of a given point and a variable point respectively on a 3D line that passes through the origin,
have seen equation of a straight line in 3 dimensional space as,

(x-x1)/a = (y-y1)/b = (z-z1)/c

where (x1,y1,z1) is a known point in the line and a,b,c are the direction ratios (drs) of the line,

I am trying to modify the equation into another form which one will look like the equation of a line in a 2D case like ax + by + c = 0,

My approach,

Let (x1,y1,z1) and (x,y,z) be the coordinates of any given and a variable point respectively on a 3D line that passes through the origin, as direction ratios are just the length of the bases of the triangles formed in the space,

a = x1, b = y1 , c = z1,

now, instead of working on direction ratios measured by the cosine functions, I am taking the tan functions and using tan θ = opposite side/ base, along the y axis,

tan β = y1/x1 = y/x,

along the z axis,

tan γ = z1/x1 = z/x,

where β and γ are the angles made by the line with y and z axes respectively, so,we are getting,

y = (y1/x1) x,
z = (z1/x1) x,
y + z = (y1/x1) x + (z1/x1) x,

y + z = (y1+ z1) x/x1,
(y + z ) x1 = (y1 + z1 ) x,

which resembles the equation of a 2D line passing through the origin ax + by = 0,
my approach is to simply the equation of a 3D line into simple linear equation of three variables,
also in books it is given ax + by + cz + d = 0 is not the equation of a straight line but is the equation of a plane what I am finding is not the case as there a,b,c are not related to the plane but on the properties of a line what is perpendicular to the plane,
so I can conclude that ax + by + cz + d = 0 will represent a straight line in space but with the above modification what I got as (y + z ) x1 = (y1 + z1 ) x.
Just wanted to know if my approach is correct ?
thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sachin said:
my approach is to simply the equation of a 3D line into simple linear equation of three variables,

also in books it is given ax + by + cz + d = 0 is not the equation of a straight line but is the equation of a plane what I am finding is not the case as there a,b,c are not related to the plane but on the properties of a line what is perpendicular to the plane,

so I can conclude that ax + by + cz + d = 0 will represent a straight line in space but with the above modification what I got as (y + z ) x1 = (y1 + z1 ) x.

Just wanted to know if my approach is correct ?
No. A single linear equation of three variables defines a plane.

A line has one degree of freedom. That means you can choose the value of one variable, but once you do that, the other two variables are determined.

A plane has two degrees of freedom. You can choose the value of two variables, but the third is then determined.

In your case, say you set ##x=0##. Assuming ##x_1 \ne 0## for simplicity, then as long as ##y=-z##, the equation is satisfied, so choosing ##x=0## did not determine unique values of ##y## and ##z##. So you don't have a line.

Likes FactChecker and MatinSAR
vela said:
No. A single linear equation of three variables defines a plane.

A line has one degree of freedom. That means you can choose the value of one variable, but once you do that, the other two variables are determined.

A plane has two degrees of freedom. You can choose the value of two variables, but the third is then determined.

In your case, say you set ##x=0##. Assuming ##x_1 \ne 0## for simplicity, then as long as ##y=-z##, the equation is satisfied, so choosing ##x=0## did not determine unique values of ##y## and ##z##. So you don't have a line.
i have just cross multiplied the terms in the equation of a line in (x-x1)/a = (y-y1)/b = (z-z1)/c , how can i get a plane from there ? as that will mean (x-x1)/a = (y-y1)/b = (z-z1)/c was the equation of a plane, is my assumption correct

i have just cross multiplied the terms in the equation of a line in (x-x1)/a = (y-y1)/b = (z-z1)/c , how can i get a plane from there ? as that will mean (x-x1)/a = (y-y1)/b = (z-z1)/c was the equation of a plane, is my assumption correct
No. In the first sentence, you said you had a line, and in the second, you said the same equations represented a plane. It's one or the other. It can't be both.

When you write
$$\frac{x-x_1}{a} = \frac{y-y_1}b = \frac{z-z_1}c,$$ it's shorthand for two equations, e.g.,
\begin{align}
\frac{x-x_1}{a} &= \frac{y-y_1}b \\
\frac{x-x_1}{a} &= \frac{z-z_1}c
\end{align} You can solve the first equation for ##y## in terms of ##x## and the second for ##z## in terms of ##x##. Once you choose a value for ##x##, you have no freedom to choose ##y## or ##z##. Their values are determined by the equations. You have one degree of freedom, so you have a line.

I've answered your original question, but it seems you have a different one in mind. Could you please state the problem you're trying to solve?

Likes MatinSAR, FactChecker and SammyS
vela said:
No. In the first sentence, you said you had a line, and in the second, you said the same equations represented a plane. It's one or the other. It can't be both.

When you write
$$\frac{x-x_1}{a} = \frac{y-y_1}b = \frac{z-z_1}c,$$ it's shorthand for two equations, e.g.,
\begin{align}
\frac{x-x_1}{a} &= \frac{y-y_1}b \\
\frac{x-x_1}{a} &= \frac{z-z_1}c
\end{align} You can solve the first equation for ##y## in terms of ##x## and the second for ##z## in terms of ##x##. Once you choose a value for ##x##, you have no freedom to choose ##y## or ##z##. Their values are determined by the equations. You have one degree of freedom, so you have a line.

I've answered your original question, but it seems you have a different one in mind. Could you please state the problem you're trying to solve?
my concern is to give equation of a line a simpler form than bothering the ratios, what i found out from u is a single equation is always a plane, so y = x is not a 2d line but a plane ?

sachin said:
my concern is to give equation of a line a simpler form than bothering the ratios, what i found out from u is a single equation is always a plane, so y = x is not a 2d line but a plane ?
More specifically, a single linear equation is a plane in 3D. Yes, y=x is a plane in 3D. (what is a 2D line?)

2D line is a two dimensional line what is plotted in xy plane, we have y = mx + c and all as equations.

Likes FactChecker
sachin said:
2D line is a two dimensional line what is plotted in xy plane, we have y = mx + c and all as equations.
Where did i go wrong in my assumption, is the mistake started when i added the equations or before that also in the post

y = (y1/x1) x,
z = (z1/x1) x,

sachin said:
Where did i go wrong in my assumption, is the mistake started when i added the equations or before that also in the post

y = (y1/x1) x,
z = (z1/x1) x,
If you added equations, that was probably wrong. You can not turn one linear equation into three independent linear equations.

sachin said:
There's no such thing as a "2D line." A line is one dimensional object. The equation y = mx + c represents a line (one dimensional) in two dimensional space.

Likes MatinSAR
Mark44 said:
There's no such thing as a "2D line." A line is one dimensional object. The equation y = mx + c represents a line (one dimensional) in two dimensional space.
did not understand fully, is it like y = x fulfills the equation of a plane in 3d space and a line in 2d space ?

Likes FactChecker
sachin said:
did not understand fully, is it like y = x fulfills the equation of a plane in 3d space and a line in 2d space ?
Yes. In general, one linear equation in N-dimensional space defines an N-1 dimensional subspace subset.
And n simultaneous linearly independent equations in N-dimensional space define an N-n dimensional subspace subset.
CORRECTION: These will not be subspaces unless they include the zero point. Thanks @Mark44 .

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
In general, one linear equation in N-dimensional space defines an N-1 dimensional subspace.
Technically, that would be an N-1 dimensional subset of the space it's embedded in, unless that subset happens to contain the origin.

Likes FactChecker
Mark44 said:
Technically, that would be an N-1 dimensional subset of the space it's embedded in, unless that subset happens to contain the origin.
so if a standard 12 child asks if y = x is a line or a plane, what should be the answer ?

Mark44 said:
Thanks. I stand corrected.

sachin said:
so if a standard 12 child asks if y = x is a line or a plane, what should be the answer ?
It depends. In ##\mathbb R^2## the equation defines a line through the origin. In ##\mathbb R^3## the equation defines a plane through the origin. In the first case, the equation represents a subspace of dimension 1; in the second case, it defines a subspace of dimension 2.

Last edited:
sachin said:
not sure of your use of terms, but lines are intrinsically 1-dimensional objects, i.e., they are fully determined by 1 parameter.

sachin said:
Suppose we assume that "a standard 12 [year old] child" is only familiar with 2D graphs that were taught in school. Then the answer would be a line.
Suppose we assume that "a standard 12 [year old] child" is trying to develop/modify/learn code for a video game in 3D. Then the answer would be a plane.

1. What is the equation of a straight line in 3D space?

The equation of a straight line in 3D space can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. In 3D space, we can also add a third variable, z, to the equation, making it z = mx + by + c, where c is the z-intercept.

2. How do you graph a straight line in 3D space?

To graph a straight line in 3D space, we first need to determine the slope and intercepts of the line. Once we have these values, we can plot the points on a 3D coordinate system and connect them with a straight line. Alternatively, we can also use the slope-intercept form of the equation to graph the line by plotting the y-intercept and using the slope to find other points on the line.

3. What is the significance of the slope in the equation of a straight line in 3D space?

The slope in the equation of a straight line in 3D space represents the rate of change between the x and y coordinates. It tells us how much the y value changes for every unit increase in the x value. In 3D space, the slope can also represent the rate of change between the x and z coordinates, or the y and z coordinates, depending on which variables are used in the equation.

4. Can the equation of a straight line in 3D space have a negative slope?

Yes, the equation of a straight line in 3D space can have a negative slope. This means that the line is decreasing as we move from left to right on the x-axis. In 3D space, a negative slope can also indicate a decreasing rate of change between the x and z coordinates, or the y and z coordinates.

5. How do you find the distance between two points on a straight line in 3D space?

To find the distance between two points on a straight line in 3D space, we can use the distance formula: d = √((x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2 + (z2 - z1)^2). This formula uses the coordinates of the two points to calculate the distance between them. Alternatively, we can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance if the line is in a 2D plane.