Exploring MSc Particles, Strings & Cosmology at Durham

In summary, the MSc Particles, Strings & Cosmology program at Durham is a postgraduate degree program that focuses on the study of subatomic particles, string theory, and cosmology. It has a strong emphasis on both theoretical and experimental aspects and offers research opportunities with world-renowned faculty. The entry requirements include a relevant undergraduate degree and a strong background in mathematics. Graduates have a wide range of career opportunities, and unique features of the program include the opportunity for students to participate in research projects and access to state-of-the-art facilities at the Ogden Centre for Fundamental Physics.
matt91a
Hi folks,

I'm a 3rd year student doing a BSc in Mathematics and Physics (in Scotland) and I was wondering if anyone could share with me their experiences of the MSc particles, strings and cosmology at Durham (previously MSc elementary particle theory) or any of the other similar courses at Kings College/Imperial/Sussex.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't expect to be funded because all of those programmes have no funding or very little funding attached!

I applied to 3/4 (not Imperial) this year, so unfortunately I can't comment on the actual programmes.

Related to Exploring MSc Particles, Strings & Cosmology at Durham

1. What is the MSc Particles, Strings & Cosmology program at Durham?

The MSc Particles, Strings & Cosmology program at Durham is a postgraduate degree program that focuses on the study of subatomic particles, string theory, and cosmology. It combines theoretical and experimental approaches to explore the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the nature of the cosmos.

2. What are the entry requirements for this program?

The entry requirements for the MSc Particles, Strings & Cosmology program at Durham include a minimum of a 2:1 undergraduate degree in a relevant subject such as physics, mathematics, or engineering. Applicants should also have a strong background in mathematics and some knowledge in areas such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and relativity.

3. What research opportunities are available in this program?

The MSc Particles, Strings & Cosmology program at Durham offers a variety of research opportunities, including the chance to work with world-renowned faculty on cutting-edge projects. Students may have the opportunity to participate in research at the Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology or collaborate with the Centre for Extragalactic Astronomy.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of this program?

Graduates of the MSc Particles, Strings & Cosmology program at Durham have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Many go on to pursue further research, either in academia or in industrial research and development. Others may choose to work in fields such as data analysis, science communication, or science policy.

5. Are there any unique features of this program at Durham?

One unique feature of the MSc Particles, Strings & Cosmology program at Durham is its strong emphasis on both theoretical and experimental aspects of particle physics, string theory, and cosmology. Another unique aspect is the opportunity for students to take part in a research project, giving them hands-on experience in their chosen field of study. Additionally, Durham is home to the Ogden Centre for Fundamental Physics, which provides state-of-the-art facilities and resources for students in this program.