Exploring QM Interpretations: Copenhagen & Blockworld

In summary: This is also the reason why the many worlds interpretation is an empty interpretation - it just says that anything can happen in the actual world we live...
Lynch101
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Questions about some of the ideas in the thread Implications of Quantum Foundations on Interpretations of Relativity.
Reading the very interesting thread that @Demystifier started, I was hoping to get a better understanding of certain ideas. I don't think these questions would be suitable for that particular thread.

The first such question pertains to the following exchange between DarMM and Demystifier.

DarMM said:
Well a simple example might be Copenhagen and the Blockworld, what you call the spacetime interpretation. In Copenhagen measurement results don't exist prior to the measurement

Demystifier said:
there is no direct contradiction between blockworld interpretation of relativity and the idea that a measurement result doesn't exist prior to the measurement. One can simply say that the measurement result exists at the spacetime point at which the measurement is performed.
Are there interpretations of QM which require the possibility of more than one outcome in an experiment i.e. where the outcome is not pre-determined?

I was thinking that Copenhagen* was one such interpretation and would therefore not be compatible with the blockworld interpretation of relativity.*or some versions of Copenhagen

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to let you know, DarMM has left this community.

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes mattt, Demystifier, gentzen and 1 other person
dextercioby said:
Thanks for the heads up!

dextercioby said:
Well, he has a reputation for repeatedly disappearing for some years , only to return later...

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes bhobba, Demystifier and Lynch101
dextercioby said:
Would you happen to know if there interpretations of QM which require the possibility of more than one outcome in an experiment i.e. where the outcome is not pre-determined?

Lynch101 said:
Would you happen to know if there interpretations of QM which require the possibility of more than one outcome in an experiment i.e. where the outcome is not pre-determined?
I am sorry, I am a fan of the mathematical subleties of quantum mechanics (especially rigged Hilbert spaces), not of interpretations.

• Love
Likes Lynch101 and weirdoguy
dextercioby said:
I am sorry, I am a fan of the mathematical subleties of quantum mechanics (especially rigged Hilbert spaces), not of interpretations.
Thanks anyway dextercioby

A. Neumaier said:
Well, he has a reputation for repeatedly disappearing for some years , only to return later...

Lynch101 said:
The Copenhagen interpretation and Many worlds have this property. Deterministic foundations like the Thermal Interpretation and Bohmian mechanics don't have it. Statistical interpretations are silent about it.

Likes Lynch101 and dextercioby
A. Neumaier said:
The Copenhagen interpretation and Many worlds have this property.
But they have it in two very different ways. In Copenhagen, only one outcome actually occurs, but the outcome is not determined by the prior state; it is randomly chosen from among the possible outcomes. So more than one outcome is possible before the result is known, but only one outcome actually occurs.

In the MWI, the evolution is entirely deterministic, and this deterministic evolution leads to all possible outcomes occurring. So more than one outcome is not only possible, but actual.

Likes Lynch101
A. Neumaier said:
The Copenhagen interpretation and Many worlds have this property.
PeterDonis said:
In Copenhagen, only one outcome actually occurs, but the outcome is not determined by the prior state; it is randomly chosen from among the possible outcomes. So more than one outcome is possible before the result is known, but only one outcome actually occurs.
Thanks. I was thinking that it was a feature of Copenhagen that more than one outcome must be possible, but I wasn't sure if it was an absolute necessity; to the extent that it would make it incompatible with the spactime/blockworld formulation of relativity.

Lynch101 said:
Thanks. I was thinking that it was a feature of Copenhagen that more than one outcome must be possible, but I wasn't sure if it was an absolute necessity; to the extent that it would make it incompatible with the spactime/blockworld formulation of relativity.
Almost by definition, a blockworld makes sense only in a deterministic setting.

A. Neumaier said:
I don't understand this. Why would a blockworld view imply determinism? Perhaps it's just a matter of terminology -- I like to think of statistical ensembles of possible blockworlds. (Perhaps more appropriately called "patches of spacetime").

WernerQH said:
I don't understand this. Why would a blockworld view imply determinism? Perhaps it's just a matter of terminology -- I like to think of statistical ensembles of possible blockworlds. (Perhaps more appropriately called "patches of spacetime").
Given an ensemble of blockworlds, the dynamics in each particular blockworld is deterministic. Once in a blockworld there is no further choice. The other blockworlds are completely irrelevant for observers in a particular one.

This is also the reason why the many worlds interpretation is an empty interpretation - it just says that anything can happen in the actual world we live in.

A. Neumaier said:
Yes, this is what I was thinking. Demystifier put forward an argument [in the thread from which this thread is spun] suggesting that the blockworld doesn't necessarily require or imply determinism, but it would still be incompatible with any interpretation that requires the possibility of more than one outcome in the experiment.

A. Neumaier said:
Given an ensemble of blockworlds, the dynamics in each particular blockworld is deterministic.
Why couldn't there be some stochastic dynamics?

WernerQH said:
Why couldn't there be some stochastic dynamics?
Because by definition, each blockworld fixes everything as a function of spacetime. The only conceivable stochastic dynamics could be in another dimension where one can move between blockworlds. But this extra dimension would have nothing to do with time. The latter is intrinsic to each single blockworld.

Likes Lynch101
A. Neumaier said:
Because by definition, each blockworld fixes everything as a function of spacetime.
Oh, if it's by definition, then I should choose a different name. :-)
Thanks!

1. What is the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics?

The Copenhagen interpretation is a popular interpretation of quantum mechanics that was developed by Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg in the 1920s. It states that the act of measurement or observation causes the wave function of a particle to collapse into a single state, thus determining its properties.

2. What is the Blockworld interpretation of quantum mechanics?

The Blockworld interpretation, also known as the static interpretation, is a philosophical interpretation of quantum mechanics that views the universe as a 4-dimensional block of space-time. It suggests that all events, including quantum events, are predetermined and there is no room for free will.

3. How do the Copenhagen and Blockworld interpretations differ?

The main difference between the two interpretations lies in their view of the nature of reality. The Copenhagen interpretation suggests that reality is inherently probabilistic and that the act of observation plays a crucial role in determining the properties of particles. On the other hand, the Blockworld interpretation suggests that reality is predetermined and there is no room for randomness or free will.

4. Which interpretation is most widely accepted by scientists?

The Copenhagen interpretation is the most widely accepted interpretation of quantum mechanics, as it is consistent with the results of experiments and has been used successfully to make predictions in many areas of physics. However, there is still ongoing debate and research on the topic, and no single interpretation has been universally accepted by scientists.

5. Can the Copenhagen and Blockworld interpretations be reconciled?

There is ongoing research and discussion on whether the two interpretations can be reconciled or if a new interpretation is needed to fully understand the nature of quantum mechanics. Some scientists suggest that the two interpretations may be compatible, with the Copenhagen interpretation applying to the macroscopic world and the Blockworld interpretation applying to the microscopic world. However, this remains a topic of debate and further research is needed to fully understand the relationship between the two interpretations.