Exploring Spin Functions: What Are They?

In summary, the spin functions are vectors in a finite dimensional spin vector space, with electrons of spin 1/2 being described by two base vectors called alpha and beta. These spin functions are a part of the total wavefunction of the system, along with the spatial wave functions. The spin part of the wave function was introduced to explain various experimental results, such as atomic spectra and the Pauli exclusion principle. It represents a new degree of freedom associated with the internal angular momentum state of the electron.
Repetit
Hey!

Can someone explain to me what the spin functions are? I understand that a spin up is described by a function which is often called [tex]\alpha[/tex] and spin down is described by a similar function called [tex]\beta[/tex]. But what are these functions? What do they look like and what parameters do they take? Are they orthonormal like spatial wave functions?

If you have a good source for information on this I'd be grateful. I've tried searching Google but that didn't really give me any good information.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The spatial wave functions can be considered vectors (points) in an infinite dimensional vector space (the functional space of square integrable functions).

Analogously, the spin wave functions are vectors in the spin vector space which is finite dimensional. For electrons of spin 1/2, the spin space is two dimensional and can be spanned by two base vectors which you called alpha and beta.

The total Hilbert space of the system is the direct sum of the spatial space and the spin space i. e. the full wavefunction has space part and spin part.

The spin part of the wave function looks very contrived to beginners and most textbook do not put it in proper hystorical perspective to show that mathematical machinery was created to explain the experiment. The atomic spectra, the Zeeman effect, the Pauli exclusion principle all suggested that electrons in atoms have another quantum number. Later it was realized that number corresponded to a new degree of freedom unrelated to spatial degrees but associated with the internal angular momentum state of the electron. That is how the spin part of the wave function was introduced into the picture.

Last edited:
smallphi said:
The spatial wave functions can be considered vectors (points) in an infinite dimensional vector space (the functional space of square integrable functions).

Analogously, the spin wave functions are vectors in the spin vector space which is finite dimensional. For electrons of spin 1/2, the spin space is two dimensional and can be spanned by two base vectors which you called alpha and beta.

The total Hilbert space of the system is the direct sum of the spatial space and the spin space i. e. the full wavefunction has space part and spin part.

The spin part of the wave function looks very contrived to beginners and most textbook do not put it in proper hystorical perspective to show that mathematical machinery was created to explain the experiment. The atomic spectra, the Zeeman effect, the Pauli exclusion principle all suggested that electrons in atoms have another quantum number. Later it was realized that number corresponded to a new degree of freedom unrelated to spatial degrees but associated with the internal angular momentum state of the electron. That is how the spin part of the wave function was introduced into the picture.

This is an excellent response, thank you.

Thanks alot, that cleared things up for me!

1. What are spin functions?

Spin functions are mathematical functions used to describe the behavior of particles with spin, a fundamental property of matter. They represent the probability amplitudes of a particle having a particular spin orientation at a given time and position.

2. How are spin functions related to quantum mechanics?

Spin functions are a fundamental part of quantum mechanics, a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. They are used to calculate the probability of a particle having a particular spin state in a given system, and are essential in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. What does it mean for a particle to have spin?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is a quantum mechanical property and cannot be visualized in classical terms. Particles with spin can have a spin value of either half-integer or integer, and this value determines how they behave in different interactions.

4. How are spin functions used in experimental physics?

Spin functions are used in experimental physics to predict and explain the results of experiments involving particles with spin. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as spintronics, which utilizes the spin of electrons to store and process information.

5. Are spin functions only applicable to subatomic particles?

No, spin functions can also be applied to larger particles, such as atoms and molecules, as long as they have spin. In fact, spin functions are used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, a widely used technique in chemistry and medicine, to study the spin states of atomic nuclei.