Exploring the History of Calculating Solar System Body SGPs

In summary: I'm not sure how much more detail you would be able to provide on this topic without going into too much math, but it's interesting to know that different measurements of Jupiter's mass yielded different values until someone finally figured out how to calculate it.
GregM
TL;DR Summary
history of standard gravity parameter measurements
does anyone have a good reference on the history of calculating the standard gravity parameters of solar system bodies? My guess is a rough estimate of Jupiter's SGP can be gained from observing the motion of its moons, in which case the first estimates could have been made soon after Newtonian theory had made SGPs pertinent to astronomy. Or maybe the estimates were already there in an rearrangement in the numbers gained from Galilean observations around 1610.

R.jpg

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's likely that scientists first determined the gravitational constant and then used that to determine the mass of the Sun, Moon, and planets. From those two values you can get the SGP by multiplying them together. As far as I am aware, the first semi-accurate measurement to determine the gravitational constant (actually the density of the Earth, from which you can get the constant) was the Schiehallion experiment of 1774. This found the density of the Earth to be about 4500 kg/m3, about 20% off from the modern value of 5515 kg/m3.

Jupiter's mass was calculated at various times afterward. Here is George Biddell Airy's article from 1833 in the Memoirs of the Royal Astronomical Society, Vol. 6, p.83 in which he determines the mass of Jupiter by observing the orbit of its 4th satellite. He seems somewhat aghast that various measurements had differed widely up to that point and that no one had lately tried to reconcile them properly. I'm not actually certain what value he obtained, as he states it in a way I've never seen before. Something about a logarithm of the mass.

GM is known far better for the planets than G or M. (Indeed, M is essentially unknown directly - it's actually (GM)/G )

Vanadium 50 said:
GM is known far better for the planets than G or M. (Indeed, M is essentially unknown directly - it's actually (GM)/G )
Ah I wasn't aware of this. A little more reading of the wiki article gives me this:
Thus only the product of G and M is needed to predict the motion of the smaller body. Conversely, measurements of the smaller body's orbit only provide information on the product, μ, not G and M separately. The gravitational constant, G, is difficult to measure with high accuracy,[12] while orbits, at least in the solar system, can be measured with great precision and used to determine μ with similar precision.

Very interesting.

1. What is the purpose of calculating Solar System Body SGPs?

The purpose of calculating Solar System Body SGPs (Standard Geophysical Parameters) is to accurately measure and track the movements and positions of celestial bodies in our solar system. This information is crucial for understanding the dynamics of the solar system and predicting future astronomical events.

2. How do scientists calculate Solar System Body SGPs?

Scientists use mathematical equations and complex algorithms to calculate Solar System Body SGPs. These calculations take into account the mass, velocity, and gravitational forces of the celestial bodies, as well as other factors such as the presence of other nearby objects.

3. Why is it important to explore the history of calculating Solar System Body SGPs?

Exploring the history of calculating Solar System Body SGPs allows us to understand how our knowledge of the solar system has evolved over time. It also gives us insight into the methods and techniques used by early astronomers, and how they have contributed to our current understanding of the solar system.

4. What tools and technologies have been used to calculate Solar System Body SGPs?

Throughout history, various tools and technologies have been used to calculate Solar System Body SGPs. These include early astronomical instruments such as the astrolabe and sextant, as well as more modern technologies such as telescopes, satellites, and computer software.

5. How has the accuracy of calculating Solar System Body SGPs improved over time?

The accuracy of calculating Solar System Body SGPs has greatly improved over time due to advancements in technology and mathematics. Early calculations were often based on limited data and less precise instruments, while modern methods utilize more advanced techniques and a larger amount of data, resulting in more accurate results.