Exploring the Mystery of Black Hole Ringdown

In summary: It doesn't mean that the horizon is "made of something" that is changing shape, or that there is "space" or "time" at the horizon that is changing. In summary, the conversation discusses the source of ringdown observed in black holes and whether gravitational waves can escape the interior of a black hole. It is explained that the gravitational waves come from the rapidly changing curvature of spacetime near but outside of the black hole. The event horizon is irrelevant in this context. The conversation also touches on the change in shape of the horizon during a merger, but this is not to be taken literally as the horizon is not made of anything and has no space or time.
Lord Crc
I thought I'd create a new thread rather than derail.

In https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...stars-become-black-holes.937452/#post-6143231 it was explained to me that gravitational waves do not escape the interior.

The reason I thought they did is that we have observed black hole ringdown, and that the ringdown was gravitational waves from the interior mass settling down.

If gravitational waves can't escape from the interior, what is the source/driver of the ringdown?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I believe the event horizon itself (or spacetime at the event horizon rather) is 'misshapen' and the ringdown is the result of the change in the EH as it settles into a stable state. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Likes Lord Crc
Right, but how does that happen, after all the EH isn't a "thing".

Couldn't tell you. Unfortunately I know very little details about this topic. :frown:

Whether the EH is a "thing" or not we could debate, but the fact is that the space-time metric obeys the Einstein Field Equations. When the merged BH is first formed, the metric around it is distorted from the long-time solution, which is a Kerr metric. It quickly relaxes to the Kerr solution, radiating gravitational waves as it relaxes. The gravitational waves are not coming from the interior of the BH, but from the distorted space-time region around the BH. The simulations of this happening (which I'm sure you've seen) are obtained by solving the Einstein Field Equations given the initial conditions of two separate BHs spiraling in.

Likes Lord Crc and berkeman
So I should imagine the EH as a (Neumann or something) boundary condition as far as the external spacetime is concerned? And the ringdown is the reconfiguration (relaxation) of the external spacetime happening when the two boundaries become one?

Lord Crc said:
If gravitational waves can't escape from the interior, what is the source/driver of the ringdown?
The gravitational waves come from the rapidly changing curvature of spacetime near but outside of the two black holes. The event horizons are irrelevant here; in fact two colliding neutron stars will also produce gravitational waves even though they have no event horizons.

Likes krater
I can take that as a confirmation of my post #6 Nugatory?

In that case I get the ringdown, thanks for the replies.

So I managed to confuse myself by thinking more about this.

I thought gravitational waves were how changes in the gravitational field was propagated. The Insight https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/how-fast-do-changes-in-the-gravitational-field-propagate/ says so as well.

What got me confused was the following scenario: take a stationary black hole of suitable size (tens of solar masses?) with an orbiting companion body, a neutron star for example. Then shoot another suitably sized black hole into the system with such a velocity that it grazes the EH of the stationary black hole and escapes the system.

The intruder BH should cause the stationary BH to move no? If it does, the gravitational field felt by the companion mass would change too no? How is this change propagated?

Maybe this should have been a new thread, I see how ringdown is spacetime settling down. This question was more about gravitational waves escaping EH.

I posted a new thread in the GR forum with the follow up question.

Grinkle said:
Does this help? Posts 12 and 13.

Thanks, that was indeed helpful.

Drakkith said:
I believe the event horizon itself (or spacetime at the event horizon rather) is 'misshapen'

This is how it's often described in pop science articles, but IMO it's misleading. Since nothing can escape from the horizon, the gravitational waves emitted by the merger can't be coming from the horizon, or inside it. The waves are coming from a region of fluctuating spacetime curvature outside the horizon: basically they carry away that fluctuating spacetime curvature so that what remains is the horizon of the new merged black hole.

It is true that the horizon's shape changes as the waves are emitted; but you have to be very careful how you interpret that piece of ordinary language.

Likes Lord Crc and Drakkith

1. What is a black hole ringdown?

A black hole ringdown is the final stage of a merger between two black holes, where the newly formed black hole emits gravitational waves as it settles into a stable state.

2. How do scientists study black hole ringdowns?

Scientists study black hole ringdowns by analyzing the gravitational waves emitted during the merger using specialized detectors, such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

3. What can we learn from studying black hole ringdowns?

Studying black hole ringdowns can provide insights into the properties of black holes, such as their mass, spin, and location in the universe. It can also help us test and refine our understanding of general relativity.

4. Are there any dangers associated with black hole ringdowns?

No, there are no known dangers associated with black hole ringdowns. The gravitational waves emitted during the process are extremely weak by the time they reach Earth, and they pose no threat to our planet or any living beings.

5. Can black hole ringdowns be observed directly?

No, black hole ringdowns cannot be observed directly as they occur in regions of space that are too far away for us to see with our current technology. However, we can indirectly observe their effects through the gravitational waves they emit.