1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explosion and momentum

1. Dec 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rocket is fired from from the ground at initial velocity of ##v_0## and at an angle ##\theta##. At its highest height it splits into 2 parts of equal masses. The first part is fired straight up and at velocity ##v_0/2##. Find the angle and intensity of the second part.
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

At its maximum height the velocity has only the x component which is ##v_0cos\theta##. The momentum is ##p_0=mv_0cos\theta##. Since it has only the x component and the part which divides has the y component the second part must have an equal y component. Mening the ##v_{2y}=v_{1y}=v_0/2##. That would make the change in the y component of the momentum ##0##. Since that starting condition has total momentum in x direction the ##v_2## part must have the x component equal to the ##v_0cos\theta##. The intensity would then be ##\sqrt{v_{2y}^2+v_{2x}^2}##. Does this seem right couse when i use it in the problem given by the books where this intial velocity is ##1000## the angle ##60## i get ##v_y=500\sqrt{2}## and the book gives ##v_y=1118##?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2016 #2
    When the problem says that the first part is fired straight up, I think it means straight up relative to someone on the ground - not straight up relative to the moving projectile.

4. Dec 30, 2016 #3

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Your method sounds correct in general, though I get a different answer from you when using that approach. I think the book is correct.
    Perhaps you could show your working in detail.
    I think you may be going wrong in the horizontal component, what you label v2y

5. Dec 30, 2016 #4
    At the max heigth the velocity has only the x-component which is ##v_0cos\theta=500m/s##. Since it then splits into two parts they both must have 0 net y velocity and 500m/s in the x-component. ##v_{1y}=500m/s## and ##v_{1x}=0##. From there it follows that the vertical component of the second velocity must be ##500m/s## in order for the y-components to cancel out.
    The x component must be equal to ##m*500m/s##. So ##\frac{m}{2}v_{2x}=m500##. So it should be ##1000m/s## Now i get it right. I forgot the fact that the mass splits so i thought that i have full mass of velocity 2. Good now.

6. Dec 30, 2016 #5

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Exactly where I went wrong myself at first attempt!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted