Explosion Force: Wall vs Moveable Object

In summary, Glue-grenade/Bomb is a gameplay mechanic that alters the gameplay environment in a specific way. It is not something that is already available in games, and would require writing code to make it possible.
Wex Viator
If an explosion occurred inbetween a solid object (like a wall) and a moveable object (like a blue square on wheels... work with me here). Would the blue square move further than if the wall wasn't there?

Diagram of sorts:
http://www.thewexionweb.com/posts/bang1.png

An explanation about the why, would also be nice. Cheers :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably. The expanding gasses would be constrained by the wall and there
would be a stronger, longer push on the square. Note thought that if the
wall is not very strong and it gets blown out of the way, then the square
might not receive an influence from the gasses near the wall.

It depends on how strong the wall is.

Wex Viator said:
If an explosion occurred inbetween a solid object (like a wall) and a moveable object (like a blue square on wheels... work with me here). Would the blue square move further than if the wall wasn't there?

Diagram of sorts:
http://www.thewexionweb.com/posts/bang1.png

An explanation about the why, would also be nice. Cheers :).

A suicide bomber that stands between a wall and a car, say along a crowded pavement, will kill more people than an explosion from a car that is parked next to a wall.

If that is what your actually asking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Suicide bomber? Not quite, but that's an analogy I suppose.

I'm a games programmer on a degree course and am pondering what to do for my final year project. I'm thinking about some advanced explosion stuff, both the graphics side and the physics side.

So, in this scenario, we're talking about an infinately strong wall (unless I go the route of a deformable environment, which is a whole project in itself really), though what I code will be adaptable to cope with such a situation, like if the explosion was between two 'cars' it'll blow them both apart at respective speeds dependant on distance from explosion, weight, friction, etc...

Another additon to the project will be the way in which explosions expand in small areas. Throw a grenade into an air duct and you should expect quite a bit of backdraft from it (provided it doesn't destroy the duct of course), with all the required lovely visual effects to show it.

What area of physics would explosion-expansion be? Fluid dynamics?

I'm just collecting info right now to see if there's enough scope and depth to sufficiently challenge me, while also being do-able. Further suggestions on such a project (or any other project you might come up with) are much welcome.

Thanks peeps.

Wex Viator said:
Suicide bomber? Not quite, but that's an analogy I suppose.

I'm a games programmer on a degree course and am pondering what to do for my final year project. I'm thinking about some advanced explosion stuff, both the graphics side and the physics side.

So, in this scenario, we're talking about an infinately strong wall (unless I go the route of a deformable environment, which is a whole project in itself really), though what I code will be adaptable to cope with such a situation, like if the explosion was between two 'cars' it'll blow them both apart at respective speeds dependant on distance from explosion, weight, friction, etc...

Another additon to the project will be the way in which explosions expand in small areas. Throw a grenade into an air duct and you should expect quite a bit of backdraft from it (provided it doesn't destroy the duct of course), with all the required lovely visual effects to show it.

What area of physics would explosion-expansion be? Fluid dynamics?

I'm just collecting info right now to see if there's enough scope and depth to sufficiently challenge me, while also being do-able. Further suggestions on such a project (or any other project you might come up with) are much welcome.

Thanks peeps.

Cool then, I only have a basic knowledge of comp-games, but here is an idea that may, or may not have been around already, Glue-Grenade/Bomb?

If one is thrown amongst lots of enemies, it slows them down, or fix's them to whatever they are near, thereby enabling easy 'pickings'?..and if one can aim it precisely, it can be throw onto an area where a 'bomb' is likely to go off, dampening the explosion and allowing a player to escape harm?

I do not know if this is allready avialable, sort of like a "paintball", but Glueball instead or if its doable! this would be fluid-explosion of course?

Best of luck!

Hmm, interesting. From a gameplay point of view there needs to be a negative side to using it. Like it uses up some of your 'armour' value or something, but that's getting towards gameplay mechanics.

A Glue-grenade is more of a feature of a specific game, rather than what I'm trying to do, and that's write some engine code that allows the designer to achieve such features. For example, for this I might write a localised-bullet-time engine, whereby certain areas can be designated as 'slow' areas (and others as 'fast' I suppose). Having this engine then leads to the ability to make the Glue-grenade, as well as many other things.

Though, localised bullet time, not a bad idea. :) Though not the hardest effect to achieve. Thanks for the input.

if its doable
Anything's possible ;)

Wex Viator said:
Hmm, interesting. From a gameplay point of view there needs to be a negative side to using it. Like it uses up some of your 'armour' value or something, but that's getting towards gameplay mechanics.

A Glue-grenade is more of a feature of a specific game, rather than what I'm trying to do, and that's write some engine code that allows the designer to achieve such features. For example, for this I might write a localised-bullet-time engine, whereby certain areas can be designated as 'slow' areas (and others as 'fast' I suppose). Having this engine then leads to the ability to make the Glue-grenade, as well as many other things.

Though, localised bullet time, not a bad idea. :) Though not the hardest effect to achieve. Thanks for the input.

Anything's possible ;)

Ah..I think I get the mechanics of explosions?..lets say that in your linked image, what is the optimum area needed to place an explosive devise?..well if one placed a specific 'bomb' in the boot of car, then the back-end of car would experience 'fast-time', and leave most of the components ie..engine at the front of the car intact (engine would adhere to slow-time). So there has to be an optimum area for "maximum-time/damage" a direct hit?..in/on the car would be the area directly under the front seats, in the middle of car, near to the heavy-duty solids, ie engine?

As to between the wall, I think that the overall volume of area(air-in-street) allows the "wall and car" to experience the 'slow-time' damage.

I think the compact area volume within the car, coupled with the closeness of damage causing componants(engine-breakable componants) will act as a gauge for "fast-time" and "slow-time" when compared to say the area volume outside of car?

But again I may be way off! :smile:

1. What is Explosion Force: Wall vs Moveable Object?

Explosion Force: Wall vs Moveable Object is a scientific concept that describes the force generated when an explosion occurs between a stationary wall and a moveable object.

2. How is Explosion Force calculated?

Explosion Force is calculated by considering the mass and velocity of the moveable object, the distance between the object and the wall, and the energy released by the explosion.

3. What factors can affect Explosion Force?

Several factors can affect Explosion Force, including the type of explosive used, the size and shape of the explosion, the materials and strength of the wall and object, and the environment in which the explosion occurs.

4. What are the potential dangers of Explosion Force?

Explosion Force can cause significant damage to surrounding structures and objects, as well as potential harm to living beings. It is important to carefully consider the potential risks and take necessary precautions when working with explosives.

5. How is Explosion Force used in real-world applications?

Explosion Force is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as demolition, mining, and military operations. Understanding Explosion Force is crucial in these industries to ensure safety and effectiveness in using explosives.