1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explosion of a star

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A planet is in a circular orbit about a star that explodes, shedding 2% of its mass in an expanding spherical shell. Find the eccentricity of the new orbit of the planet, which otherwise is not affected by the shell.

2. Relevant equations

\sqrt{1-\varepsilon^2} = \frac{b}{a}, where b and a are the minor and major half-axis, and \varepsilon is the eccentricity; \rho (1 + \varepsilon \cos(\varphi)) = a(1-\varepsilon^2) (Kepler's orbit); A = \frac{L \tau}{2 m} (area law), where A is the area of the orbit, L is the angular momentum of the system, and \tau is the period of it.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a bold hypothesis: the constant of the problem is the planet. If I it would be possible to change the coordinate system as centered on the planet, and if the Kepler's law keep inaltered, I could treat the star before and after the explosion as planets, and use the third law to stablish a relationship between their orbits. Is this possible?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Has the position of centre of mass of the star changed by ejecting a spherical shell of material?
  4. Nov 27, 2008 #3
    No, it didn't change; I understand what you mean. Ok I will think about how establish a relation between the old and the new eccentricity using the fact that the mass of the planet is constant; I truly believe that the solution resides in considering this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?