Calculating Eccentricity of Planet's Orbit After Star Explosion

In summary, the problem involves finding the eccentricity of a planet's new orbit after its star explodes and loses 2% of its mass in a spherical shell. The relevant equations are the eccentricity equation, Kepler's orbit equation, and the area law. The solution involves treating the star and the ejected material as separate planets and using the third law to establish a relationship between their orbits. The position of the center of mass of the star remains unchanged.
thesaruman

Homework Statement

A planet is in a circular orbit about a star that explodes, shedding 2% of its mass in an expanding spherical shell. Find the eccentricity of the new orbit of the planet, which otherwise is not affected by the shell.

Homework Equations

\sqrt{1-\varepsilon^2} = \frac{b}{a}, where b and a are the minor and major half-axis, and \varepsilon is the eccentricity; \rho (1 + \varepsilon \cos(\varphi)) = a(1-\varepsilon^2) (Kepler's orbit); A = \frac{L \tau}{2 m} (area law), where A is the area of the orbit, L is the angular momentum of the system, and \tau is the period of it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a bold hypothesis: the constant of the problem is the planet. If I it would be possible to change the coordinate system as centered on the planet, and if the Kepler's law keep inaltered, I could treat the star before and after the explosion as planets, and use the third law to stablish a relationship between their orbits. Is this possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Has the position of centre of mass of the star changed by ejecting a spherical shell of material?

mgb_phys said:
Has the position of centre of mass of the star changed by ejecting a spherical shell of material?

No, it didn't change; I understand what you mean. Ok I will think about how establish a relation between the old and the new eccentricity using the fact that the mass of the planet is constant; I truly believe that the solution resides in considering this.

1. What is eccentricity?

Eccentricity is a measure of how oval-shaped an orbit is. It is calculated by dividing the distance between the foci of the ellipse by the length of the major axis.

2. How is eccentricity calculated?

Eccentricity can be calculated using the equation e = c/a, where e is the eccentricity, c is the distance between the foci, and a is the length of the major axis.

3. Why is it important to calculate the eccentricity of a planet's orbit after a star explosion?

Calculating the eccentricity of a planet's orbit can help us understand the effects of the star explosion on the planet's orbit. It can also provide information about the stability of the planet's orbit and the potential for habitability.

4. Can eccentricity change over time?

Yes, eccentricity can change over time due to gravitational interactions with other objects or external forces acting on the planet.

5. How does the eccentricity of a planet's orbit affect its climate and seasons?

The eccentricity of a planet's orbit can affect its climate and seasons by changing the distance between the planet and its star. A higher eccentricity can lead to more extreme temperature variations and more extreme seasons, while a lower eccentricity can result in more stable climate and seasons.