1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explosion of ball

1. Oct 14, 2011 #1
    Explosion of ball!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object with total mass mtotal = 16.6 kg is sitting at rest when it explodes into three pieces. One piece with mass m1 = 4.9 kg moves up and to the left at an angle of θ1 = 18° above the –x axis with a speed of v1 = 25.5 m/s. A second piece with mass m2 = 5.5 kg moves down and to the right an angle of θ2 = 23° to the right of the -y axis at a speed of v2 = 23.9 m/s.

What is the x-component of the velocity of the third piece

2. Relevant equations
    I know the final P=0 and the mass of the third object = 6.2kg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding the x component for m2 which I got to be 10.144 by tan(23)*23.9, and we know the x component of m1, so I multiplied these x components by their masses and added them, since P=0 I then subtracted them to the other side of the = sign to give me the opposite. I dont know if I am on the right track or not. I have tried every way I can think of to do this problem, cant get the right answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Explosion of ball!!

You are on the right track that the sum of the momentums is zero. Show your calculations in detail. I can not follow you from that you have. How do you get the x component of a vector?

ehild

4. Oct 14, 2011 #3

I was doing it wrong, and then I thought I was doing it correctly now, but am still getting the wrong answer. I am finding the x and y of each piece that we are given theta by taking the cos(theta)=x/v then found x(cm) by taking the x value and multiplying it mass then dividing by total mass, once I got both x's for both thetas given I found the difference between the two , I did this because I know P=0 so I want them to sum to 0, since I have one piece that goes in the negative x direction I made that negative and still cant figure out what I am doing wrong.

5. Oct 14, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write out the calculation with formulas. What are the x components of the momentum of both pieces?

ehild

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook