Explosion Physics Problem: Solving for Velocity and Direction of Third Piece

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an assignment involving a ball exploding into three pieces. The first two pieces have equal mass and travel at 20m/s in perpendicular directions. The third piece has twice the mass and the question asks for its speed and direction. The speaker initially considers using kinetic energy but then realizes that momentum is a more relevant factor in this situation. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the others for their help.
silverwing57
Hey guys, just wanted to ask for help on this problem I'm having with this assignment. The questions is a ball explodes into three pieces. Two pieces of equal mass fly off to the south and west, perpendicular to each other at 20m/s. The third piece has twice the mass as the other two (same if they were combined). What is the speed and direction of the third piece?

So far I have come to an answer which I am pretty sure is wrong. I thought, using kinetic energy, that an equal amount of energy would be given to the big half and the two little quarters as they are evenly divided. Therefore, since the energy of the big half is the same as the two quarters, and the weight is the same, that the velocity would be the same too? I would really appreciate any help on this one. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
why not consider the momentum.

the kinetic energy should not work because it produced energy from inside

The net linear momentum is conserved, and momentum is a vector property.

ah, I see, I didn't think to consider momentum, thanks heaps guys.

1. How are explosions caused and what factors affect their strength?

Explosions are caused by a rapid release of energy, usually in the form of heat and pressure, due to a chemical or nuclear reaction. The strength of an explosion is affected by the amount and type of explosive material, the confinement of the explosion, and the surrounding environment.

2. Can explosions be accurately predicted and controlled?

While the behavior of explosions can be modeled and predicted using mathematical equations and computer simulations, the exact outcome of an explosion can be difficult to predict due to the unpredictable nature of factors such as the shape and size of the object being exploded. Controlling explosions is possible through proper handling and containment of explosive materials, but complete control is often not possible.

3. How do explosions create shock waves and what are their effects?

Explosions create shock waves, which are rapid changes in pressure that travel outward from the source of the explosion. These shock waves can cause damage to surrounding structures and objects, as well as injury to living beings. The strength and distance of the shock wave depends on the size and power of the explosion.

4. How do scientists study explosions and their effects?

Scientists use a combination of experimental testing and mathematical modeling to study explosions and their effects. They may also use specialized equipment, such as high-speed cameras and pressure sensors, to gather data during controlled explosions. Additionally, studying past explosions and their aftermath can provide valuable information for understanding the behavior of explosions.

5. What is the potential for using explosions for beneficial purposes?

While explosions are often associated with destruction and harm, they can also be used for beneficial purposes. Controlled explosions can be used in mining, construction, and demolition, as well as in scientific experiments. Explosions can also be harnessed to generate energy, such as in the case of nuclear power plants.