Solving Explosion Problem: Calculate Kinetic Energy of Horizontal Piece

• Thread starter Cind20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosion
In summary, a 50 kg projectile traveling horizontally at 100 m/s explodes into three pieces, with two pieces flying off vertically and a third piece continuing horizontally at 150 m/s. Using the equations for kinetic energy, work, and potential energy, we can determine that the kinetic energy of the horizontally moving piece is 375000 J. This can be calculated by considering the initial and final kinetic energies and balancing them out to account for the center of mass continuing at the original 100 m/s.
Cind20
1. A projectile of mass 50 kg moving horizontally at 100m/s explodes into three pieces. Two pieces fly off vertically while a third continues horizontally at 150m/s (neglect gravity).

What is the kinetic energy of the horizontally moving piece?

2. Homework Equations

KE=(1/2)mv^2
W=∆KE
W+KEi + PEi =KEf + PEf
PE=mgh

3. The Attempt at a Solution

W=∆KE
=(1/2)mvf^2-(1/2)mvi^2

But I got incorrect answer. The correct answer is 375000 J

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good problem. Does the mass break apart equaly because I keep getting half of the KE (187500J) I am doing .5(50/3)(150)^2. Anyone have any input

The problem does not say, but that is the number I kept getting as well. 1875000 is half of 375000, but I am not sure if that is relevant to what we are doing wrong.

This looks like a Center of mass problem doesn't it?

What you know is that at the moment of explosion you have 2 pieces that fly off, presumably 1 up and the other down of indeterminate mass and velocities in the vertical direction. But the piece of interest continues horizontally only faster.

So ... don't you know that the center of mass is continuing at 100 m/s and now the horizontal piece is moving at 150 m/s?

How must you balance that out such that the center of mass continues at the original 100 m/s, because that's what it will be doing won't it?

1. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

2. How do I determine the mass of the horizontal piece in an explosion?

The mass of the horizontal piece can be determined by measuring its weight using a scale or by using the density of the material and its dimensions to calculate the mass.

3. What units should I use when calculating kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J) in the SI system. However, other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or kilocalories (kcal) can also be used.

4. How do I determine the velocity of the horizontal piece in an explosion?

The velocity of the horizontal piece can be determined by measuring the distance it travels and the time it takes for it to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is: v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

5. What are some safety precautions I should take when working with explosive materials?

When working with explosive materials, it is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines provided by your institution or organization. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a designated area, and handling materials carefully. It is also important to have proper training and knowledge of the materials you are working with.