1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explosion to the moon

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    ok just a couple of questions I have been thinking about.. this is not my area of expertise so help would be greatly appreciated

Could anyone tell me how far away from earth I would have to be before I could shoot a bullet from a gun that would hit the moon. Supposing the bullet could travel at 1000 m/s.. is there a formula I could use?

And suppose I had a metal indestructable box and could cause and explosion 100,000 + feet above the earth, how many KJ would I need to produce to send it within the moons gravitational pull?

Also if the same experiment was done at around 36,000 miles above the earth how many K/J would need to be created?

Any help would be fantastic :D

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2
    The bullet would need to be travelling around 11.2 thousand m/s when it leaves the nozzle in order to hit the moon if we had no atmosphere. With atmosphere you must account for the terminal velocity as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

The energy of the explosion may be proportional to how large it would need to be to reach the moon, however the radius of the explosion is what matters, that would have to be empirically determined as there is too many variables.

Good luck on your mission to destroy the moon.

4. May 3, 2010 #3
    thanks alot for the info

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook