1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponent laws

1. Jul 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2^-4 + 2^-6

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ive tried several times, I do the reciprical of all numbers

ie) 1/2^4 + 1/2 ^6

Which gives me The wrong answer, cause i do the addiition first, finish all the powers and cant get the right answer. The book shows the next step to be...

2^2 + 1
    ________
    2^6

Which i dont get

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Don't rewrite the expression with positive exponents. (You did it wrong, anyway.) Instead, multiply the numerator and denominator by 26.

4. Jul 31, 2011 #3
    wat..? Dont make them positive yet multiply them with a positive denom. ? I dont even understand how the person got to 2^6.

5. Jul 31, 2011 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

It would also be helpful if you can check your original problem for typos. Because the problem you state:
    [tex]\frac{2^{-4} + 2^{-6}}{2^{-3}}[/tex]
    does not equal the answer you state:
    [tex]\frac{2^{2} + 1}{2^{6}}[/tex]
    Sure, why not? If the original problem you stated was typed correctly, then I would multiply numerator by denominator by 26, because 2-6 is the smallest power of 2. 2-6 * 26 = 1, after all.

If you look at this similar example:
    [tex]\frac{5^{-7} + 5^{-2}}{5^{-5}}[/tex]
    I would multiply top and bottom by 57 because 5-7 is the smallest power shown.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook