1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponent questions

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://i51.tinypic.com/2zyfyaa.jpg

Question 3 l )

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(6a^-2b^-3)^2
    (__________) 1/6a^2 * 1/b^3 / 1/2a^2 * 1/b^1
    (2a^2b^-1 )

I multiplied the top half together to give me 1/ 36a^4b^2

Multiplied the bottom half to give me 1/4a^4b^1 , Then took the reciprical of the bottom half and move it up and multiplied it with the top half.

Giving me a final of

:: 4a^4b^1

However, when i fold this down it becomes 1/9 and the a's cancel and 4b is left over at the bottom.

The answer is a^8b^4 / 9

I know its complicated to read, just write it on paper and ull understand.

What did i do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2
  4. Aug 2, 2011 #3
    Or... f) (-3m^-3n^-1)^-3

Solving this one, I get -27m^9 / n^3

Why in the answer book is it m^9*m^3 /27 ?

Anyone....?

5. Aug 2, 2011 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

You continue to write out your problems in a way that makes it hard to read. I think others would be less willing to help you because of this. Learn LaTeX, for goodness sake!

In any event, if I am reading your work correctly, this line:
    is wrong. It should be 1/ 36a^4b^6.

Anyway, your approach is rather confusing. It looks like you want to start by rewriting the negative exponents to positive ones. I wouldn't do that. Instead, divide the numerator by the denominator, subtracting exponents as you go:
    [itex]\left(\frac{6a^{-2}b^{-3}}{2a^2 b^{-1}}\right)^{-2} = \left(3a^{-4}b^{-2} \right)^{-2}[/itex]
    Then "distribute" the -2 exponent that is outside the parentheses, and THEN rewrite any negative exponents that are remaining to positive ones.

6. Aug 2, 2011 #5
    If i do it your way, then I get no fractions in my final answer. i just get 9a^8b^4, Sorry I dont know any other method except this recipricol one and its just not working.

I understand your step, but what step comes after How do i turn that into a fraction again

7. Aug 2, 2011 #6

eumyang

Homework Helper

You got it wrong because it looks like you think that
    [itex](-3)^{-3} = -27[/itex],
    and it's not. It should be
    [itex](-3)^{-3} = -\frac{1}{27}[/itex].

Also, the answer book does not say that! Don't you see the typos? It should be
    [tex]-\frac{m^9 n^3}{27}[/tex]

8. Aug 2, 2011 #7

eumyang

Homework Helper

No, you should have gotten
    [itex]\frac{1}{9}a^8 b^4 = \frac{a^8 b^4}{9}[/itex].
    You're not applying the negative exponent to the coefficient correctly, it seems.

9. Aug 2, 2011 #8
    Cept i do realise that it is 1/-27, and yes it is a typo, but my question remains the same. Why is that mn on top and the 27 on bottom .

When i work it out I get this...

= 1 1
    ____ * ____
    -27m^6 n^3

Then I dont get why the m and n are on top and 27 is on bottom. Unless the n cross multipleis up to the left and the m^6 only cross multiplies to the other side... But thats probably not it.

10. Aug 2, 2011 #9
    So.. you solved it like multiplication then did a recipriocol of the "9" for the final step..?

11. Aug 2, 2011 #10

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Type this instead:

[tex ]\frac{1}{-27m^6}*\frac{1}{n^3}[/tex ]

(without the space in the tex tags) You will save yourself and anyone who's reading your work lots of time.

12. Aug 2, 2011 #11
    [tex]\frac{1}{-27m^6}*\frac{1}{n^3}[/tex]

13. Aug 2, 2011 #12

eumyang

Homework Helper

But if you "distribute" the -3 exponent outside the parentheses first, you would get
    [itex]\left(-3m^{-3}n^{-1}\right)^{-3} = (-3)^{-3}m^{9}n^{6}[/itex]
    It's much easier to simplify from this, as opposed to using the reciprocal method to start.

14. Aug 2, 2011 #13
    Reopen my tinypic link, and look at 3k) . How do i solve that using your method? I simplified the top half then tried solving it and it failed.

I get to -10s^5 t^3

I get it this far. Now what am i supposed to do? ( I know im not using your tex thing.. I dont know how and i dont really have time at the moment)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  15. Aug 2, 2011 #14
    Ok, well whatever I guess. Just answer me this then. If there is an expression that include both negetive and positive exponents, I keep the positive exponents where they are and recipricol the negitive ones yes?

16. Aug 2, 2011 #15

eumyang

Homework Helper

This is wrong. It's supposed to be:
    [tex]\frac{-10s^{-5}t^3}{4s^2 t^{-3}}[/tex]
    Now you can either subtract the exponents, or "flip" the variables that contain the negative exponents across the bar and make the exponents positive, like this:
    [tex]\frac{-10 t^3 t^3}{4s^2 s^5}[/tex]
    I'll leave you to do the rest.

And if you must know, I didn't reply right away because it's morning here and I have to get ready for the day. The rest of us aren't chained to our computers 24 hours a day, you know. Now I have to run. Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook