1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential decay

1. Jan 26, 2004 #1

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From a member called "Banana":

Now I'm trying to do one with radioactive decay. Do you think I would use those same formulas? The only confusing thing is that it's not presented the same. It says that a material decays so that it is 99 percent gone in 6.65 half-lives (so would you double that?). After how many half-lives is the material 99.9 percent gone? I tried to piece together some ideas I found in other text books, but I don't think it makes sense. Here's what I tried:

- ln (N/No)/ln2
    - ln (.001/.01)/.693 = 3.3 (I don't think this is right because I didn't even find anywhere to insert the 6.65)

Is that wrong? Thanks for your help, I REALLY appreciate it. Banana

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The key equation is the same. In this case, after one half-life has elapsed, the population of remaining radioactive atoms is one-half what it was at time t=0.

Thus

[tex]0.5 N_0 = N_0 e^{k t_{hl}}[/tex]

Where [itex]t_{hl}[/itex] is the half-life.

If one-half the population remains after one half-life, you get this equation:

[tex]0.5 = e^{k \cdot 1}[/tex]

Thus, k always equals [itex]\ln{0.5}[/itex], or about -0.69, in problems dealing with half-life.

Now, using this k, we can solve for the situation where 99.9% of the original population is gone (therefore 0.1% remains):

[tex]0.001 N_0 = N_0 e^{\ln{0.5} t}[/tex]

Solve for t. Let me know what you get.

- Warren

4. Jan 27, 2004 #3
    [tex] \frac{a}{a-x}=2^{\frac{t}{\tau}} [/tex]

tau : half life

And a is initial amt and a-x is the remaining
    from the data

[tex] log(1000) =log2*\frac{t}{\tau}[/tex]

So u get t={log1000/log2}*tau =9.96 [tex]\tau[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?