Exponential Decay: Solving with Radioactive Half-Lives

In summary, Banana is seeking help with using formulas for radioactive decay. They are trying to find the number of half-lives it takes for a material to be 99.9% gone. They attempted to use the equation ln(N/No)/ln2 but were unsure if it was correct. Another member, Warren, provides the key equation for half-life and explains how to use it to solve for the given situation. They also suggest using the equation log(1000) = log2*(t/tau) to find the number of half-lives.
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From a member called "Banana":

Now I'm trying to do one with radioactive decay. Do you think I would use those same formulas? The only confusing thing is that it's not presented the same. It says that a material decays so that it is 99 percent gone in 6.65 half-lives (so would you double that?). After how many half-lives is the material 99.9 percent gone? I tried to piece together some ideas I found in other textbooks, but I don't think it makes sense. Here's what I tried:

- ln (N/No)/ln2
- ln (.001/.01)/.693 = 3.3 (I don't think this is right because I didn't even find anywhere to insert the 6.65)

Is that wrong? Thanks for your help, I REALLY appreciate it. Banana

Physics news on Phys.org
The key equation is the same. In this case, after one half-life has elapsed, the population of remaining radioactive atoms is one-half what it was at time t=0.

Thus

[tex]0.5 N_0 = N_0 e^{k t_{hl}}[/tex]

Where [itex]t_{hl}[/itex] is the half-life.

If one-half the population remains after one half-life, you get this equation:

[tex]0.5 = e^{k \cdot 1}[/tex]

Thus, k always equals [itex]\ln{0.5}[/itex], or about -0.69, in problems dealing with half-life.

Now, using this k, we can solve for the situation where 99.9% of the original population is gone (therefore 0.1% remains):

[tex]0.001 N_0 = N_0 e^{\ln{0.5} t}[/tex]

Solve for t. Let me know what you get.

- Warren

[tex] \frac{a}{a-x}=2^{\frac{t}{\tau}} [/tex]

tau : half life

And a is initial amt and a-x is the remaining
from the data

[tex] log(1000) =log2*\frac{t}{\tau}[/tex]

So u get t={log1000/log2}*tau =9.96 [tex]\tau[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is exponential decay?

Exponential decay is a mathematical concept that describes the gradual decrease of a quantity over time. It is commonly observed in natural phenomena such as radioactive decay, population growth, and the cooling of hot objects.

2. How is radioactive decay related to exponential decay?

Radioactive decay is a specific type of exponential decay, in which the quantity being measured is the amount of a radioactive isotope present. This decay occurs at a constant rate and can be described using the half-life of the isotope.

3. What is a half-life?

A half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a given quantity to decay. In the context of radioactive decay, it is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial amount of a radioactive isotope to decay into a more stable form.

4. How is the half-life used to solve for the remaining quantity in exponential decay?

The half-life can be used to determine the rate of decay for a given quantity. By knowing the half-life and the initial amount, the remaining quantity can be calculated using the equation A = A0(0.5)t/h, where A is the remaining amount, A0 is the initial amount, t is the time, and h is the half-life.

5. Can exponential decay be applied to other areas besides radioactive decay?

Yes, exponential decay can be observed in many natural phenomena, such as population growth and the decay of certain chemicals. It is also commonly used in mathematical models and financial calculations.