1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Derivative Problem

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    Hey I'm new here. I got a quick question about the e^x function.

I was noodling with my graphing calculator and noticed that every time i took the integral of (x+1) I kept getting a graph that was closer to the graph of e^x. So after this I took the integral of (x+1) about 10 times and got an equation almost exact to e^x.

If taking the integral of (x+1) infinitely gives you e^x, then shouldn't taking the derivative infinitely of e^x give you (x+1)? But this can't be right because the derivative of e^x is e^x...... is there something I'm doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Look at the Taylor series expansion for e^x.

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Indeed, that is precisely what you get using Poisson's iterative method for solving the differential equation x'= x, with x(0)= 1.

Take the x, on the right, to be the constant value 1: x'= 1=> x= t+ C and, since x(0)= 1, C= 1. x= t+ 1.
    Now take the x, on the right, to be x+ 1: x'= t+ 1=> x= (1/2)t2+ t+ C and, since x(0)= 1, C= 1: x= (1/2)t2+ t+ 1.
    Now take the x, on the right, to be (1/2)t2+ t+ 1: x'= (1/2)t2+ t+ 1=> x= (1/6)t3+ (1/2)t2+ t+ C and, since x(0)= 1, C= 1: x= (1/6)t3+ (1/2)t2+ t+ 1.

Continuing like that, x approaches, in the limit, the series
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}x^n[/itex]

And, of course, the function satisfying x'= x, x(0)= 1 is ex.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?