Exponential Distribution and radio active decay

In summary, the conversation discusses a typical radioactive decay question with a half-life of 1 year. In response to Q1, it is determined that after 10 years, the expected number of remaining atoms is one. In Q2, the probability that none of the 1024 atoms will remain after 10 years is approximately 36%. This can be calculated using a Poisson distribution or by considering the probability of each atom surviving for 10 years. The given answer is e-1.
Bachelier
Typical radio active decay question

Half time = 1 year
λ = ln 2 here

Q 1: if we have 1024 atoms at t=0, what is the time at which the expected number remaining is one.

Easy, I get 10 years

Q 2: The chance that in fact none of the 1024 atoms remains after the time calculated in c:

it should be P(T<10 years) = 1 - P(T>10 years) but I get different answers.

The answer given is e-1

any hints please? I know it's easy, I'm just missing something

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess we can set up a new rv Y = number of surviving atoms.
p = 1/1024, all indep hence follows a Poisson dist. with parameter (1)

P(Y=0) = e-1 ≈ 36%

Another way of looking at it: each atom survives one year with probability 1/2, so it survives for 10 years with probability 1/2^10 = 1/1024, and thus the probability that none of the 1024 survive for 1024 years is (1-1/1024)^1024 or approximately exp(-1).

Cool

for your question. The exponential distribution is commonly used to describe the decay of radioactive substances over time. In this case, the half-life of the substance is 1 year, which means that after 1 year, half of the original atoms will have decayed. The decay rate, or λ, is equal to ln 2 here.

For Q1, you are correct in saying that it would take 10 years for the expected number of remaining atoms to be one. This is because after each half-life, the number of remaining atoms is halved. So after 1 year, there would be 512 atoms remaining, after 2 years there would be 256, and so on until we reach 1 atom after 10 years.

For Q2, you are correct in using the formula P(T<10 years) = 1 - P(T>10 years). However, the answer given of e-1 is not accurate. The correct answer would be (1/2)^10 = 1/1024, which is the probability that none of the original 1024 atoms would remain after 10 years. This can also be seen by plugging in 10 for t in the exponential distribution formula, P(t) = e^(-λt), which would give us e^-10ln2 = (1/2)^10.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Remember that the exponential distribution is a continuous probability distribution, so it's important to use the correct formula and units when solving these types of problems.

1. What is the Exponential Distribution?

The Exponential Distribution is a probability distribution that describes the time between events in a Poisson process, where events occur continuously and independently at a constant average rate.

2. How is the Exponential Distribution related to radioactive decay?

The Exponential Distribution is commonly used to model the decay of radioactive materials. It describes the time between decays of individual atoms, which is a continuous and random process.

3. What is the mean and standard deviation of the Exponential Distribution?

The mean of the Exponential Distribution is equal to 1/λ, where λ is the rate parameter. The standard deviation is also equal to 1/λ.

4. How is the Exponential Distribution different from other probability distributions?

The Exponential Distribution is unique in that it only has one parameter, λ, which represents the average rate of events. It also has a continuously decreasing probability function, unlike other distributions which may have varying shapes.

5. Can the Exponential Distribution be used to model other processes besides radioactive decay?

Yes, the Exponential Distribution has many applications in various fields such as economics, finance, and reliability analysis. It can be used to model any process where events occur continuously and independently at a constant rate.