1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Distribution

1. Sep 23, 2004 #1
    I am having alot of trouble with a homework question from my book. It asks:

The time between unplanned shutdowns of a power plant has an exponential distribution with a mean of 20 days. Find the probability that the time between two unplanned shutdowns is more than 21 days.

I know this much so far 1-e-(20)(?) (one minus e to the negative power of mean times any value of the continuous variable(X))

I am lost on finding X within the equation.

Hope someone can help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2004 #2

First of all what do we define as an exponential distribution? It is equaled to:

1 - e^(-yx)

= 1 - e^(-20)(21)

Since this is the probability that the time between two unplanned shutdowns is less than 21 we don't need the 1. Hence our answer (I think) would be:

e^(-20)(21) or essentially 0.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  4. Sep 24, 2004 #3
    Thanks for your help,

But how do I solve E^-(20)(21)? I know that 20 times 21 is 420. How do I determine e^-420?

The book has given me some answers, but none say zero. a. .350, b. .650, c. .150, d. .850

I can probabily figure out the answer with no problem if someone can help me witht the problem above.
    Thanks for your help!!!
  5. Sep 24, 2004 #4
    Okay, here is what I have, please tell me if I am right:

F(x)=.150 (final answer)

I hope I am write.
  6. Sep 24, 2004 #5
    I meant right**** Sorry :blushing:
  7. Sep 24, 2004 #6
    Asking for Review

I feel confident about my answer, I am hoping someone can review and let me know if I have calculated wrong in any way. :approve:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?