How do I solve an exponential equation with different bases?

• Thread starter babacanoosh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the conversation was about solving the equation 2^(x^2) X 4^(2x) = 1/8 and the steps to make the bases the same. It was mentioned that the general rule for "exponentiated exponents" is (a^b)^c = a^(b * c) and that the problem leads to a quadratic equation with two solutions. It was also pointed out that the mistake in the original equation was not multiplying the bases correctly. Ultimately, it was determined that there are two real solutions to the equation.
babacanoosh
Hello all, I can't believe I having a hard time with this problem but...I am :cry:1. 2^(x^2) X 4^(2x) = 1/8
2. make the bases the same?
2^(x^2) X 2^((2x)^2) = 1/8
2^(3x^(2)) = 1/8
3x^(2)log2=log1/8
(log1/8)/(log2) = 3x^(2)
x^(2) = -1

I know I am doing it wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Baba

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](2^{2x})^2=2^{4x}[/tex]

The general rule for "exponentiated exponents" is

[tex](a^b)^c = a^{(b \cdot c)[/tex], for a positive base a .

For this problem, you will end up with a quadratic equation in x, with two solutions.

Last edited:
great! thanks so much. Just a stupid mistake on my part, I knew that :uhh:

I believe you end up with two imaginary solutions; My guess is that you should just show your work until you run into negative square root.

epkid08 said:
I believe you end up with two imaginary solutions; My guess is that you should just show your work until you run into negative square root.

You actually get two real roots.

I found the same, you should get two real roots.

Oh, I see what I did wrong, I had [tex]2^{x^2}(2^x + 2^x)=1/8[/tex], instead of [tex] 2^{x^2}*2^x*2^x=1/8[/tex]

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is a mathematical expression in which the independent variable appears as an exponent. This means that the value of the dependent variable increases or decreases at an increasingly faster rate as the independent variable increases.

2. How do I solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use logarithms or graphing methods. If using logarithms, you would take the logarithm of both sides of the equation and solve for the variable. If using graphing methods, you would plot the points on a graph and find where the curve intersects with the desired value.

3. What is the difference between exponential equations and linear equations?

The main difference between exponential equations and linear equations is that in exponential equations, the independent variable is in the exponent, while in linear equations, the independent variable is not in the exponent. This means that the rate of change for exponential equations is not constant, while for linear equations it is constant.

4. What are some real-world applications of exponential equations?

Exponential equations can be used to model population growth, compound interest, radioactive decay, and other natural phenomena. They are also commonly used in statistics and finance to analyze data trends and make predictions.

5. How can I check if my solution to an exponential equation is correct?

To check if your solution to an exponential equation is correct, you can plug the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the equation and see if the solution corresponds with the intersection point on the graph.