1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Exponential Equation! -Stuck -

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    Exponential Equation! -Stuck!!-

1. 32y+3 = 3y+5

3. The attempt at a solution

2y + 3 = y+5
    2y = y+2

I really don't think I am doing this right, I am trying to find the value of Y. the answer is 2 but I don't know how to come up with the answer.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2
    Re: Exponential Equation! -Stuck!!-

The progress looks great to me! The next step is to get all of the y-terms on one side of the equation. :smile:

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

So then would it be 2y + y = 2 or 2y2 = 2?

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

These two equations are not equivalent. Let us ignore the 2y2 = 2 for now. Your previous step left the equation at 2y = y + 2. Remember that if you add or subtract a value from one side of the equation, you have to do the same thing to the other side. Therefore, in the first equation in the quote you have 2y + y = 2, but this is not the same as 2y = y + 2 because you added one y to the left side but subtracted the y from the right side. If you add y to the left, then you must add y to the right, getting 2y + y = y + y + 2.

Instead of this, can you think of what to do to both sides of the equation that would result in having no y on the right side of the equation?

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5

If [itex]b^x=b^y[/itex], then [itex]x=y[/itex]

Remove [itex]b[/itex] from both sides, and you're left with something quite a bit easier to solve.

7. Feb 7, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is good advice, but the OP has already done this. Take a closer look at the original post.

8. Feb 7, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

2y + y and 2y2 are very different expressions. The first is (obviously) 2y + y, which is the same as 2y + 1y; the second is 2y*y.

The distributive law says that a(b + c) = ab + ac, or equivalently, that (b + c)a = ba + ca. This second form looks a lot like 2y + 1y.

9. Feb 7, 2010 #8

Ahh, sorry about that. I should have looked at the solution attempt more closely.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook