Master the Exponential Equation: Solving for Y Made Easy!

In summary, the OP is trying to solve for y in an equation, but is having trouble because the equation is not equivalent. They have discovered that if they remove b from both sides, the equation becomes much easier to solve.
GodOfYou
Exponential Equation! -Stuck!-

1. 32y+3 = 3y+5

The Attempt at a Solution

2y + 3 = y+5
2y = y+2

I really don't think I am doing this right, I am trying to find the value of Y. the answer is 2 but I don't know how to come up with the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

The progress looks great to me! The next step is to get all of the y-terms on one side of the equation. :smile:

So then would it be 2y + y = 2 or 2y2 = 2?

GodOfYou said:
2y + y = 2 or 2y2 = 2

These two equations are not equivalent. Let us ignore the 2y2 = 2 for now. Your previous step left the equation at 2y = y + 2. Remember that if you add or subtract a value from one side of the equation, you have to do the same thing to the other side. Therefore, in the first equation in the quote you have 2y + y = 2, but this is not the same as 2y = y + 2 because you added one y to the left side but subtracted the y from the right side. If you add y to the left, then you must add y to the right, getting 2y + y = y + y + 2.

Instead of this, can you think of what to do to both sides of the equation that would result in having no y on the right side of the equation?

If [itex]b^x=b^y[/itex], then [itex]x=y[/itex]

Remove [itex]b[/itex] from both sides, and you're left with something quite a bit easier to solve.

apt403 said:
If [itex]b^x=b^y[/itex], then [itex]x=y[/itex]

Remove [itex]b[/itex] from both sides, and you're left with something quite a bit easier to solve.
This is good advice, but the OP has already done this. Take a closer look at the original post.

GodOfYou said:
So then would it be 2y + y = 2 or 2y2 = 2?
2y + y and 2y2 are very different expressions. The first is (obviously) 2y + y, which is the same as 2y + 1y; the second is 2y*y.

The distributive law says that a(b + c) = ab + ac, or equivalently, that (b + c)a = ba + ca. This second form looks a lot like 2y + 1y.

Mark44 said:
This is good advice, but the OP has already done this. Take a closer look at the original post.

Ahh, sorry about that. I should have looked at the solution attempt more closely.

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is a mathematical expression in which a variable is raised to a constant power. The general form of an exponential equation is y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do I solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use logarithms. By taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation, you can isolate the variable and solve for it. It is important to remember that the exponent of the variable must be the only term inside the logarithm.

3. What are some real-life applications of exponential equations?

Exponential equations are used in a variety of fields, including finance, biology, and physics. Some common examples include population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay.

4. What is the difference between exponential and linear equations?

The main difference between exponential and linear equations is that in exponential equations, the variable is in the exponent, while in linear equations, the variable is raised to the first power. This results in a curved graph for exponential equations and a straight line for linear equations.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on an exponential equation?

If you are stuck on an exponential equation, try graphing it to get a better understanding of what the equation represents. You can also try plugging in different values for the variable to see how they affect the output. If you are still having trouble, don't hesitate to ask for help from a teacher or tutor.