1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Equation

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I have had this question for some time now and I am really struggling to find any information on the topic.

So here it is,

By research find out how an exponential function can be found by first obtaining a function using logarithms and then graphing.

Show and explain why this method is valid for all exponential functions.

So if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you take the log of the values of an exponential function and graph them against the dependent variable, then the result should be linear. So you can use graphical techniques to get the slope. And then use the slope to determine the exponential function. Is that what you are talking about?

4. Jul 18, 2008 #3
    I would say, just draw a line y =x once you have your logarithm, and then reflect your graph.

There are inverse of each other.

5. Jul 19, 2008 #4
    Yes, i think this is what I am after. Once I take the logs, draw the graph and note the gradient, how do i determine the equation?

6. Jul 19, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you get a linear relation log(y)=m*x+c, the corresponding exponential relation is y=(e^c)*e^(m*x).

7. Jul 19, 2008 #6
    thanks very much, i will definately keep you informed as to my progress

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?