1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Exponential Equations

1. Jul 26, 2010 #1
    I just want to make sure that I have this in the correct order. The book I have is very unclear.

e^x + e^-x = 6
    e^x + 1/e^x = 6
    e^2x + 1 = 6e^x
    e^2x/e^x + 1 = 6
    x = ln 6

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

You've made a mistake. The fourth line doesn't follow from the third. It looks like you tried to divide by e^x (which is actually just undoing what you did in going from line 2 to 3), but you forgot to divide the 1 by e^x.

What you should do is rearrange your third line so that it looks like

e^(2x) - 6e^x + 1 = 0.

Does this look like a familar sort of equation? (If not, let y = e^x. Then does it look familar?)

4. Jul 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks a lot. I thought something looked off. The thing that worried me is that the answer that I got is quite approximate, and I wanted to make sure that I was doing the process correctly, which I wasn't.

Then after this I would simply do the U form of the quadratic, correct?

5. Jul 26, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the equation is quadratic in form, so a substitution will make it a quadratic, which you can solve using the quadratic formula.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook