Therefore D_n=\frac{2}{\pi(1-4n^2)}

In summary, the integral D_n=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi\sin{(t)}\cdot e^{-i2nt}dt can be evaluated using the product-to-sum and sum-to-product identities for trigonometric functions, resulting in the formula D_n=\frac{2}{\pi(1-4n^2)}. Alternatively, it can also be solved by using integration by parts twice.
gabel
[tex]D_n=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi\sin{(t)}\cdot e^{-i2nt}dt=\frac{2}{\pi(1-4n^2)}[/tex]

I have no idea on how they get from one side of the equation symbol to the other, can i get some tips and tricks ?

I have try ed writing sint as an exp function, but i don't feel it gets me anywhere close.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gif.gif

and the formulae here -:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#Product-to-sum_and_sum-to-product_identities

will help you in solving the integral ;). Though I don't know why a simple by parts integration doesn't suit you..

Hmm, I am unsure on how to threat the variable n

You needn't worry about 'n'. It isn't being integrated. Worry about 't', and 'n' will resolve itself after a little algebra. In simpler terms, n is a constant and t is the variable during integration.

Last edited:
Ok, this is where I am at now. But I am stuck once more.

[tex]D_k = \frac{2 cos^2(n\pi)+sin(2\pi n)}{1-4n^2}[/tex]

gabel said:
[tex]D_n=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^\pi\sin{(t)}\cdot e^{-i2nt}dt=\frac{2}{\pi(1-4n^2)}[/tex]

I think it's easier to write the sine as exponential, which gives you
[tex]D_n=\frac{1}{2 \pi i}\int_0^\pi (e^{i t} - e^{-i t}) e^{-i2nt}dt = \frac{1}{2 \pi i}\int_0^\pi (e^{-i(2n-1)t} - e^{-i(2n+1)t})dt [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \left[ \frac{1}{-i(2n-1)} ( e^{-i(2n-1)\pi} - 1 ) - \frac{1}{-i(2n+1)} ( e^{-i(2n+1)\pi} - 1 ) \right][/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \frac{1}{-i(2n-1)(2n+1)} \left[ (2n+1) e^{-i(2n-1)\pi} - (2n+1) - (2n-1) e^{-i(2n+1)\pi} + (2n-1) \right] [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2 \pi (2n-1)(2n+1)} \left[ 2n e^{i\pi} - 2n e^{-i\pi} + e^{i\pi} + e^{-i\pi} - 2 \right] [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2 \pi (2n-1)(2n+1)} \left[ 2n (-1) - 2n (-1) + (-1) + (-1) - 2 \right] = \frac{-4}{2 \pi (4n^2-1)} = \frac{2}{\pi (1-4n^2)}[/tex]

Last edited:
You're almost there, the penultimate step. Now cos(npi) = (-1)^n and sin(2npi) = 0. What would cos^2(npi) be? Hint : What does your answer require?

gabel said:

I have no idea on how they get from one side of the equation symbol to the other, can i get some tips and tricks ?

I have try ed writing sint as an exp function, but i don't feel it gets me anywhere close.

Or it could be done by integrate by parts twice.(I know it's kinda retarded.)
[tex]\int_0^\pi\sin{t}e^{-j2nt}dt = [/tex]
[tex]=-\cos{t}e^{-j2nt}-j2n \int_0^\pi\cos{t}\c e^{-j2nt}dt = [/tex]
[tex]=-\cos{t}e^{-j2nt}-j2n \sin{t}e^{-j2nt}+4n^{2}\int_0^\pi\sin{t}\c e^{-j2nt}dt = [/tex]

hence
[tex]\int_0^\pi\sin{t}\ce^{-j2nt}dt =\frac{e^{-j2nt}(-\cos{t}-j2n\sin{t})}{1-4n^{2}}|^{\pi}_{0}=\frac{2}{1-4n^{2}}[/tex]

What is an Exponential Fourier Series?

An Exponential Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions. It is used to analyze and understand the frequency components of a periodic signal.

What is the difference between a Fourier Series and an Exponential Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series uses sine and cosine functions to represent a periodic signal, while an Exponential Fourier Series uses complex exponential functions. The main advantage of using an Exponential Fourier Series is that it can represent signals with discontinuities, while a Fourier Series can only represent signals that are continuous.

How is an Exponential Fourier Series calculated?

An Exponential Fourier Series is calculated by finding the complex coefficients that best fit the periodic function being analyzed. These coefficients are found using a mathematical process called Fourier analysis, which involves integrals and complex numbers.

What are the applications of Exponential Fourier Series?

Exponential Fourier Series have many applications in fields such as signal processing, electrical engineering, and physics. They are used to analyze and understand periodic signals, such as sound waves, electrical signals, and mechanical vibrations. They are also used in image processing and data compression.

What are the limitations of Exponential Fourier Series?

One limitation of Exponential Fourier Series is that they can only be used to represent periodic signals. They are also limited in their ability to accurately represent signals with sharp changes or discontinuities. Additionally, the convergence of an Exponential Fourier Series may be slow or may not occur at all for certain types of signals.