Exponential Func: Solving ln6=ln2+ln3

In summary, to justify that ln6= ln2+ln3, we use the fact that the exponential function is strictly increasing over R, which allows us to simplify the equation and get ln2+ln3=ln6. This is necessary because only invertible functions can be simplified in this way, as illustrated by the example of the function f(x)=x^2.
Perlita
Hello everyone,
I was solving this problem:
Justify that ln6= ln2+ln3

So: exp(ln2+ln3)=exp(ln2)*exp(ln3)= 2*3= 6 = exp(ln6)
Till here, my work was okay.
What I didn't understand is : why should we say that the exponential function is strictly increasing over R before being able to simplify the equation and get: ln2+ln3=ln6 ??

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perlita said:
Hello everyone,
I was solving this problem:
Justify that ln6= ln2+ln3

So: exp(ln2+ln3)=exp(ln2)*exp(ln3)= 2*3= 6 = exp(ln6)
Till here, my work was okay.
What I didn't understand is : why should we say that the exponential function is strictly increasing over R before being able to simplify the equation and get: ln2+ln3=ln6 ??

Thanks

Hey Perlita! :)

What you need is that the function is invertible.
And a strictly increasing function is invertible.

To illustrate how it can go wrong when the function is not invertible, consider for instance the function given by $f(x)=x^2$.
We have $(-2)^2 = 4 = 2^2$.
But that does not imply that $-2 = 2$.

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the independent variable is in the exponent. It is written in the form y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and b is the base. It is commonly used to model growth or decay in various natural and physical phenomena.

2. How do you solve an exponential function?

To solve an exponential function, you can use the properties of logarithms. In the given equation ln6 = ln2 + ln3, you can use the property ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b) to rewrite the equation as ln(6) = ln(2*3). Then, you can use the property ln(e^x) = x to simplify the equation further to 6 = 2*3. Thus, the solution is x = 1.

3. What is the relationship between exponential and logarithmic functions?

Exponential and logarithmic functions are inverse functions of each other. This means that if y = ab^x is an exponential function, then its inverse function is given by x = loga(y), where a is the base of the exponential function. In other words, logarithmic functions are used to "undo" the effects of exponential functions.

4. What is natural logarithm?

Natural logarithm, denoted as ln, is a logarithmic function with base e, also known as Euler's number. It is the inverse function of the exponential function e^x. It is commonly used in calculus and other mathematical applications.

5. What are the applications of exponential functions?

Exponential functions have a wide range of applications in various fields such as finance, biology, physics, and chemistry. They are used to model population growth, radioactive decay, compound interest, and many other natural and physical phenomena. They are also used in data analysis and prediction.