1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Functions

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    1. (3*square root of 2)^square root of 2 How do I simplify this and other exponential expressions?
    2. 3^(power of 2*x)-1=3^(power of x) + 2 How do i solve this?

I don't know how to attempt it...Help please

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2
    Regarding your first question: you can't, really. Subjectively, there's no "simpler" form than what you already have.

Regarding your second question: define y=3^x, and recast your equation in terms of y. Can you solve this?

4. Apr 8, 2008 #3
    according to glencoe algebra 2 number 1 can be simplified even more but they dont tell HOW????

no https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/16/1681321-1.png [Broken] thats what its supposed to look like, i have to find x

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  5. Apr 8, 2008 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Try this: instead of 2^(1/2), use some variable, r, for the (1/2). Now you have
    something like (3*2^r)^(2^r), convert this into ordinary algebraic notation so it is easier to understand; and then use your laws of exponents.

6. Apr 8, 2008 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually what I obtain is not much clearer. Example seems like a calculator exercise.

7. Apr 8, 2008 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Now, I find this:

(3^(1/2))*2^((2^(1/2))/2 )

It would look better if I had access to TEX right now.
    Three to the square root of two power, multiplied by two to the [square root of two] over two power. It may read complicated, but it looks neat on my paper.

8. Apr 9, 2008 #7
    You can always use latex in your posts by typing [tex] your latex code [ /tex]. (without the space in front of the /)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook