Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Functions

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    1. (3*square root of 2)^square root of 2 How do I simplify this and other exponential expressions?
    2. 3^(power of 2*x)-1=3^(power of x) + 2 How do i solve this?

I don't know how to attempt it...Help please

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2
    Regarding your first question: you can't, really. Subjectively, there's no "simpler" form than what you already have.

Regarding your second question: define y=3^x, and recast your equation in terms of y. Can you solve this?

4. Apr 8, 2008 #3
    according to glencoe algebra 2 number 1 can be simplified even more but they dont tell HOW????

no [​IMG] thats what its supposed to look like, i have to find x

5. Apr 8, 2008 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Try this: instead of 2^(1/2), use some variable, r, for the (1/2). Now you have
    something like (3*2^r)^(2^r), convert this into ordinary algebraic notation so it is easier to understand; and then use your laws of exponents.

6. Apr 8, 2008 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually what I obtain is not much clearer. Example seems like a calculator exercise.

7. Apr 8, 2008 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Now, I find this:

(3^(1/2))*2^((2^(1/2))/2 )

It would look better if I had access to TEX right now.
    Three to the square root of two power, multiplied by two to the [square root of two] over two power. It may read complicated, but it looks neat on my paper.

8. Apr 9, 2008 #7
    You can always use latex in your posts by typing [tex] your latex code [ /tex]. (without the space in front of the /)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?