Exponential Graph: Is Square Root an Exponential?

In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of a function with a square root and its relationship to exponential functions. The conversation also mentions the use of excel to determine the best functional form for data and the potential challenges with error handling.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Is a function that has a square root an exponential graph since you can rewrite a square root as x^1/2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

Is a function that has a square root an exponential graph since you can rewrite a square root as x^1/2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot figure out what you are asking, since your question is not written as a proper sentence.

However, you seem to be confusing "exponential" with "exponent"; exponent = power n in the formula x^n. This is a "power" function, not an "exponential" function.

... So is a square root function linear?

Nope. "function(a times x)" is not equal to "a times function (x)"

How would you classify this equation?: v=A√h

jdawg said:
How would you classify this equation?: v=A√h

Its a power law of the form ##v = A h^n## with ##n = 1/2##.

Hm... I'm trying to write a lab report and the question asks if the graph is linear or exponential. When I plugged in my values for v (the y axis) and √h (the x axis)to excel the graph came up as looking linear, but with a very slight curve to it. I know I have my axes right because my lab sheet told us which values to put on each axis.

jdawg said:
Hm... I'm trying to write a lab report and the question asks if the graph is linear or exponential. When I plugged in my values for v (the y axis) and √h (the x axis)to excel the graph came up as looking linear, but with a very slight curve to it. I know I have my axes right because my lab sheet told us which values to put on each axis.

You could do an excel "least-squares fit" to the data log(v) vs. log(h). If a power law ##v = A h^m## applies then you get a linear equation ##\log(v) = \log(A) + m \log(h)## between the new variables ##y = \log(v)## and ##x = \log(h)##. In the straight-line fit, the intercept would be log(A) and the slope would be the exponent, m.

On the other hand, if the relationship is "exponential", that means that ##v = A b^h##, and you would get a linear relationship between ##y = \log(v)## and ## x = h## itself; that is, ##\log(v) = \log(A) + \log(b)\: h##.

In EXCEL you can just find the best straight line fit to both data sets, and thus determine the best functional form for your data (together with parameter estimates for A, b, m, etc).

Last edited:
If you measured v and varied h, you could try a plot of v2 as a function of h ?
Error handling will be a bit more difficult then, though.

I'll give it a shot, thanks for your help everybody!

1. What is an exponential graph?

An exponential graph is a type of graph that shows the growth or decay of a quantity over time. It is characterized by a curved line that increases or decreases at an increasing rate.

2. How is an exponential graph different from a linear graph?

An exponential graph shows exponential growth or decay, while a linear graph shows a constant rate of change. In an exponential graph, the y-values increase or decrease at an increasing rate, while in a linear graph, the y-values increase or decrease at a constant rate.

3. What is the equation for an exponential graph?

The equation for an exponential graph is y = ab^x, where a is the initial value, b is the base, and x is the exponent.

4. Is the square root function considered an exponential graph?

No, the square root function is not considered an exponential graph. It is a type of power function, where the exponent is 1/2.

5. Can the square root function be graphed on an exponential scale?

Yes, the square root function can be graphed on an exponential scale. However, the resulting graph would be a curved line, not a straight line like most exponential graphs.