Exponential growth/decay question

• Thread starter mathzeroh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary: I am stuck...help! :yuck:It's a transcendental equation.It can be solved approximately by logarithmation.
mathzeroh
hi all! i hope ur all doing great! :rolleyes:

ok my question is kind of simple but hard for me. the thing is that I am trying to get a head start on a concept that we will soon solve aldebraically in my class. the reason why i want to get a head start is because if i get a pretty good idea of a concept prior to the actual going over it in class, i'll get it down much quicker and better, because I am not that good of a math whiz! :cry: i just want to get this so that when it comes time for the teacher to show us, i will understand it much more better! thanks!

ok so here's a general example:

The estimated population of planet Kee2000 was 5,900,000 in year 2000, and 6,100,000 in year 2003.

Assume that population is growing EXPONENTIALLY. SEt up variables and write a forumula for the populatioon as a function of time.

i already did this part and got this:

(read as "y of x" here ) y(x)= 5,900,000 (1.034)^(x/3)

i worked it out to get an approximate value for "m" and that's what i got, 1.034^(1/3)

now here's what i don't get:

In how many years will the population equal 7,000,000 people?

How the heck would you find that one out??

i tried this:

7,000,000=5,900,000(1.034)^(x/3)

here do u divide both sides by 5,900,000 to get:

about 1.67=1.034^x

and now I am stuck...help! :yuck:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a transcendental equation.It can be solved approximately by logarithmation.

Daniel.

You're trying to solve:

[tex]1.67 = 1.034^x[/tex]

Take the natural log of both sides and you get.

[tex]ln(1.67) = ln(1.034^x)[/tex]

Using one of the log rules you can rewrite this as:

[tex]ln(1.67) = x*ln(1.034)[/tex]

I think you can solve it from there.

Jameson

mathzeroh said:
The estimated population of planet Kee2000 was 5,900,000 in year 2000, and 6,100,000 in year 2003.

Assume that population is growing EXPONENTIALLY. SEt up variables and write a forumula for the populatioon as a function of time.

i already did this part and got this:

(read as "y of x" here ) y(x)= 5,900,000 (1.034)^(x/3)

And this is correct?

When something is said to grow "exponentially", isn't it usually meant as

[tex] y(x) = A e^{kx}[/tex]

where k is the growth rate? This is certainly what we mean when we talk about the exponential decay in radioactivity, etc.

Zz.

Yes I agree. I didn't really look at the work when I answered my first post.

So you use the equation listed above. Remember that A is the initial population.

Zapper,i'm sure this is not a physics question,of course to physicists,exponential decay means ~e^{-x},but the exponential function in mathematics is much more general...The base is arbitrary.Except 1...

Daniel.

So are you saying the way to find the solution is not by the forumla

[tex]y(x) = P e^{kx}[/tex]

?

It makes sense to use "e" because of its very definition which you know...

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}(1 + \frac{1}{x})^x = e[/tex]

I don't see why Zapper's way is incorrect.

Jameson

dextercioby said:
Zapper,i'm sure this is not a physics question,of course to physicists,exponential decay means ~e^{-x},but the exponential function in mathematics is much more general...The base is arbitrary.Except 1...

Daniel.

If "exponential function" is a general, generic description, then what is the justification to choose the first one over this one?

.. and maybe my interpretation of it is based on physics, but considering that I haven't seen it (in physics) interpreted any other way... If I had to choose one, I'd do my version of what I think the question is asking.

Zz.

Yes,i agree with both.It's up to one's interpretation,because both are correct.

Daniel.

Jameson said:
You're trying to solve:

[tex]1.67 = 1.034^x[/tex]

Take the natural log of both sides and you get.

[tex]ln(1.67) = ln(1.034^x)[/tex]

Using one of the log rules you can rewrite this as:

[tex]ln(1.67) = x*ln(1.034)[/tex]

I think you can solve it from there.

Jameson

yes, thank you! that's the way that seems most relevant right now!

i'm not sure about the other ones because to put it bluntly, they're WAY OVER MY HEAD right now, although i must admit, i am really intrigued by those two other methods, is there any place where i can read up on them a bit?

.. and maybe my interpretation of it is based on physics, but considering that I haven't seen it (in physics) interpreted any other way... If I had to choose one, I'd do my version of what I think the question is asking.

Well, his solution really is in the form [tex]Ae^{kx}[/tex], he just took part of the [tex]k[/tex] into the base, so he's written it instead as [tex]A(e^{3k})^{\frac{x}{3}}[/tex].

What is exponential growth/decay?

Exponential growth/decay is a mathematical concept that describes the rapid increase or decrease in a quantity over time. It is characterized by a constant rate of change, where the amount of change in each time period is proportional to the current value of the quantity.

What is the formula for exponential growth/decay?

The formula for exponential growth/decay is y = abx, where y represents the final amount, a is the initial amount, and b is the growth/decay factor. The value of b is greater than 1 for growth and between 0 and 1 for decay.

What real-life phenomena can be described by exponential growth/decay?

Exponential growth/decay can be observed in various natural and man-made processes, such as population growth, radioactive decay, compound interest, and bacterial growth. It is also commonly used in fields like economics, finance, and biology to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.

How is exponential growth/decay different from linear growth?

Exponential growth/decay differs from linear growth in that it follows a non-linear pattern. In linear growth, the quantity increases or decreases by a constant amount in each time period, while in exponential growth/decay, the amount of change is proportional to the current value of the quantity.

What are some real-world applications of exponential growth/decay?

Exponential growth/decay has many practical applications, such as predicting the spread of diseases, forecasting stock prices, estimating future population growth, and designing efficient marketing strategies. It is also used in environmental studies, engineering, and technology to analyze and improve systems and processes.