When will the investment regain its initial value?

• Thread starter Jacobpm64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, Niki's initial investment of $10,000 in the stock market declined in value at a rate of 10% per year for 10 years, leaving it worth $3,486.78. After 10 years, the stock began to gain value at 10% per year, and it will take approximately 11.054 years for the investment to regain its initial value of $10,000.
Jacobpm64
(a) Niki invested $10,000 in the stock market. THe investment was a loser, declining in value 10% per year each year for 10 years. How much was the investment worth after 10 years?

This one isn't tough:
P = P0at
P = 10,000(0.90)10
P = 10,000(0.348678...)
P = $3,486.78

(b) After 10 years, the stock began to gain value at 10% per year. After how long will the investment regain its initial value ($10,000)?

All right, for this one, I don't know if it means when will the investment get back to $10,000 or when will the $3,486.78 INCREASE by $10,000.

I worked it out as when it would get back to $10,000, but I'm not sure what it's asking for:

P = P0at
10,000 = 3,486.7844...(1.10)t
2.86797... = 1.10t
log2.86797 = tlog1.10
t = 11.054..
11.054 years

Also, should I round that up to 12 years? or what?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
"When will it regain its initial value ($10000)" means when will it once again be worth $10000.

"11.054 years
Also, should I round that up to 12 years? or what?"

Why in the world would you round 11.054 up to twelve years? If you want it to the "nearest year" then round down to 11 years.

lol, dunno.. i was thinking in terms of if that number were "people" for some odd reason.. but it isn't... So i'll just keep it as is.. Thanks..

What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a mathematical model that describes a rapid and continuous increase in the quantity of a certain variable over time. It is characterized by a constant growth rate, which results in a constantly increasing rate of change.

What is exponential decay?

Exponential decay is the opposite of exponential growth, where the quantity of a certain variable decreases at a constant rate over time. It is characterized by a decreasing rate of change, resulting in a continuously decreasing curve.

What are the applications of exponential growth/decay?

Exponential growth/decay can be observed in many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, compound interest, radioactive decay, and the spread of diseases. It is also commonly used in economics, finance, and other fields to model trends and predict future outcomes.

How is exponential growth/decay calculated?

The formula for calculating exponential growth/decay is A = A₀ * e^(rt), where A represents the final amount, A₀ is the initial amount, e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828, r is the growth/decay rate, and t is the time interval.

What are the key differences between exponential growth and linear growth?

The main difference between exponential growth and linear growth is that in exponential growth, the rate of change is proportional to the current value, while in linear growth, the rate of change is constant. This means that exponential growth results in a continuously accelerating curve, while linear growth results in a straight line.