1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential manipulation

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am working on a problem, and there is a small step I need help on:

I have the expression eab, where a is a constant, and b is a variable. I need to separate a and b so I can pull out the expression b from an integral expression. Is there any exponent law or manipulation I can do algebraically that will allow me to get separate the constant a expression from the variable b expression?

2. Relevant equations
    Rules of exponents, algebraic manipulations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    There isn't any simple rule (i.e. xmxn = xm+n) that I can use to separate the two expression. I've tried moving the expression around, to no avail. Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Why can't you use that? What is the integral expression you are talking about?

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3
    Unfortunately, that doesn't work, since the expression is eab. I would only be able to use that rule if it were eaeb. The constant a is multiplied to the variable b in the same exponential.

The integral expression is: v3/[ev(h/kT) -1] where v is the variable, and (h/kT) is constant. Essentially, I need to get the expression in the form x3/(ex-1) , where then I can use a table of integrals to evaluate the integral. Is there a simple way to get the above expression into that form? In this case, v = x, so I am close, but there is the (h/kT) constant term in the exponential that still needs to be taken care of.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  5. Jan 15, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're overthinking it. Use the substitution [itex]x=\nu(h/kT)[/itex].

6. Jan 15, 2010 #5
    eab = (ea)b and ea is just a constant.

Then ∫bx dx = bx/ln(b) + C

7. Jan 17, 2010 #6
    Thanks! This is it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook