Can I Separate a Constant and Variable Expression in Exponential Manipulation?

In summary, the problem the person is working on is to separate an expression that is eab (where a is a constant and b is a variable) into its constituent parts. They are having difficulty doing this algebraically and would appreciate any help that is offered.
winterwind

Homework Statement

I am working on a problem, and there is a small step I need help on:

I have the expression eab, where a is a constant, and b is a variable. I need to separate a and b so I can pull out the expression b from an integral expression. Is there any exponent law or manipulation I can do algebraically that will allow me to get separate the constant a expression from the variable b expression?

Homework Equations

Rules of exponents, algebraic manipulations.

The Attempt at a Solution

There isn't any simple rule (i.e. xmxn = xm+n) that I can use to separate the two expression. I've tried moving the expression around, to no avail. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
winterwind said:

The Attempt at a Solution

(i.e. xmxn = xm+n) !

Why can't you use that? What is the integral expression you are talking about?

rock.freak667 said:
Why can't you use that? What is the integral expression you are talking about?

Unfortunately, that doesn't work, since the expression is eab. I would only be able to use that rule if it were eaeb. The constant a is multiplied to the variable b in the same exponential.

The integral expression is: v3/[ev(h/kT) -1] where v is the variable, and (h/kT) is constant. Essentially, I need to get the expression in the form x3/(ex-1) , where then I can use a table of integrals to evaluate the integral. Is there a simple way to get the above expression into that form? In this case, v = x, so I am close, but there is the (h/kT) constant term in the exponential that still needs to be taken care of.

Last edited:
You're overthinking it. Use the substitution [itex]x=\nu(h/kT)[/itex].

eab = (ea)b and ea is just a constant.

Then ∫bx dx = bx/ln(b) + C

vela said:
You're overthinking it. Use the substitution [itex]x=\nu(h/kT)[/itex].

Thanks! This is it.

1. What is exponential manipulation?

Exponential manipulation is a mathematical process in which a quantity or variable is raised to a power, usually indicated by an exponent, to increase or decrease its value exponentially.

2. How is exponential manipulation used in science?

Exponential manipulation is commonly used in science to model and analyze processes that exhibit exponential growth or decay, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions.

3. What are some examples of exponential manipulation in everyday life?

Exponential manipulation can be seen in various aspects of everyday life, such as compound interest in finance, the spread of diseases, and the growth of social media platforms.

4. What are the properties of exponential manipulation?

The properties of exponential manipulation include the rule of exponents, which states that when multiplying exponential expressions with the same base, the exponents are added, and when dividing, the exponents are subtracted. Other properties include the power rule and the product rule.

5. How can I solve problems involving exponential manipulation?

To solve problems involving exponential manipulation, you can use the rules of exponents and other properties to simplify expressions and solve equations. It may also be helpful to use a graphing calculator or spreadsheet to visualize and analyze the data.