1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Question?

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1
    Exponential Question??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a car travelling at a speed of V can break at an emergency stop at a distance X. Assuming all other conditions are similar if the travelling speed of the car doubles, the stopping speed will be 4x. (I worked that out)
    A driver travelling at 40 km/h in a school zone can break to emergency stop in 3 meters. What would be the breaking distance of the car were travelling at 60 km/h.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to figure this out. From what I've done, I think the number is going to be less the 7.5 but greater than 6. I'm not exactly sure how I got that though.

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you solved the first one by equating the kinetic energy to a constant braking force times distance then you understand the problem. Doubling the velocity multiplies the kinetic energy by four. I don't understand why multiplying the velocity by 1.5 is throwing you for a loop. 2^2=4, 1.5^2=?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?