Exponential Rate Problem: Solving for x and Showing Convergence to pi

In summary, for the given equations, first it was necessary to solve x′=sin(x) to obtain t=ln|(csc(x₀)+cot(x₀))/(csc(x)+cot(x))|. Then, using x₀=(π/4), it was shown that x=2arctan(((e^{t})/(1+√2))). The next step was to prove that x(t)→pi as t→∞, which involved using l'hopital's rule and the equation lim t->inf (k/(1+(k/x0 - 1)e^(-mt)-k))/e^(-mt). Finally, it was pointed out that there is a trig identity that says arccot
evolution685
first i had to show solve x′=sin(x) to get t=ln|(csc(x₀)+cot(x₀))/(csc(x)+cot(x))|

i did that.

next i need to show that for x₀=(π/4) you can solve x=2arctan(((e^{t})/(1+√2)))

what I've done so far is

t=ln|((csc(pi/4)+cot(pi/4))/(csc(x)+cot(x))|
t=ln|((2/sqrt(2)+1)/(csc(x)+cot(x))|
e^t=(2/sqrt(2)+1)/(csc(x)+cot(x))
csc(x)+cot(x)=(2/sqrt(2)+1)/e^t

and haven't been able to get any further. is this on the right track? how do i proceed?

and finally i need to show that x(t)→pi as t→∞.

the hint I've gotten is that it involves l'hopital's rule and maybe the equation

lim t->inf (k/(1+(k/x0 - 1)e^(-mt)-k))/e^(-mt)

i have no idea what this equation means or how it relates. anyone know?

thanks a million

Physics news on Phys.org
To simplify there's a trig identity that says arccot(a/2)=csc(a)+cot(a). For the limit, just look at a graph of arctan.

sweet. that saved me several hours of pounding my head.

1. What is an exponential rate problem?

An exponential rate problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves a quantity that changes at a constant rate compounded over time. It is often used to model growth or decay in various scenarios, such as population growth, interest rates, or radioactive decay.

2. How do you solve an exponential rate problem?

To solve an exponential rate problem, you can use the formula A = A0(1 + r)t, where A is the final quantity, A0 is the initial quantity, r is the growth or decay rate, and t is the time. You can also use logarithms or graphing to solve these types of problems.

3. What is the difference between exponential and linear growth?

The main difference between exponential and linear growth is that in exponential growth, the quantity increases or decreases at an increasing rate over time, while in linear growth, the quantity increases or decreases at a constant rate over time. Additionally, exponential growth often results in a curved graph, while linear growth results in a straight line.

4. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Some real-life examples of exponential growth include population growth, the spread of infectious diseases, and compound interest on investments. These all involve a quantity that increases at an increasing rate over time, resulting in a curved graph when plotted.

5. How can understanding exponential rate problems be useful in everyday life?

Understanding exponential rate problems can be useful in everyday life in many ways. For example, it can help you make informed decisions when investing money, planning for population growth in a community, or understanding the spread of diseases. It can also help you interpret and analyze data more accurately, which is crucial in many fields of study and work.