1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Rates

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    Hey, I'm having trouble starting this assignment. If you could just tell me how to get started and the path I should be on then that would be great and I can do the rest. Here are the questions:

1) Solutions to x= - x^k for x0>0 satisfy x(t) goes to 0 as t goes to infinity. Characterize the rate at which these solutions go to 0.

2) How do things change for x'= -m x^k for m>0?

I think question 1 will have several answers for various intervals but I'm how do I find these intervals?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first problem makes no sense at all. "Solutions to x= -x^k" are numbers that do not "go" anywhere as t goes to infinity. I assume you mean "dx/dt= -x^k"?

In that case you should be able to integrate dx/x^k= -dt without difficulty. The same is true for x'= -mx^k. Integrate dx/x^k= -mdt. The case k= 1 will have to be treated separately.

4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    I just copied and pasted so yeah, it seems like there were a few problems. The x should have been an x'. Also I think the question is asking what rate does x(t)->0.

What I've done so far is

x'=-x^k
    (-x^-k)dx=-dt
    -Int(x^-k)dx=Int(1)dt
    1/(-k+1)*x^(-k+1)=t+C

Where do I go from here to find the rate at which x(t) goes to 0?

For number 2 I have

x'=-mx^k
    (x^-k)dx=-mdt
    Int(x^-k)dx=-Int(m)dt
    1/(-k+1)*x^(-k+1)=-mt

Now how do I characterize the effect m has? I see that k=1 will have to be treated separately because there will be 0 in the denominator.

Thank you for your help.

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4
    I'm still at this step: x=(t(k-1)+C)^(1/(1-k)) and I want to know at what rate x(t) goes to 0 for different intervals of k. I'm not sure how to figure out what these intervals should be or how to calculate the rate.

I think for rate there's an equation (x(t)-a)/(e^mt) as t->infinity where m is the rate and a is an x value. But I don't know what to use for a. Would a be 0?

Then the second equation is x=(mt(k-1)+C)^(1/(1-k)). What effect does m have? Would it just speed up the rate that x(t) approaches 0?

Any help is appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?