Proving Exponential Rules for [A,B]=c

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the identity exp[A+B]=exp[A]exp[B]exp[-c/2], where A and B are two operators with [A,B]=c. The proof involves defining f(x)=e^{Ax}\,e^{Bx} and calculating its derivative. If [A,B] commutes with A and B, the proof is similar to that of ordinary numbers. Otherwise, the series expansion of e^A can be used.
Logarythmic
Can someone give me a hint on how to prove that

exp[A+B]=exp[A]expexp[-c/2]

where A and B are two operators such that [A,B]=c, where c is a complex number.

This is not homework or something, I'm just curious when reading the rules.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Logarythmic,

the identity would also be true if [A,B] commutes with both A and B. c doesn't necessarily have to be a complex number in the first place.

A common proof starts with defining:

[tex]f(x)=e^{Ax}\,e^{Bx}[/tex]

Calculating [itex]\frac{df}{dx}[/itex] (*) will lead to a first-order differential equation. After finding the solution, f(1) will give the identity.

(*)hint: if [A,B] commutes with A and B then:

[tex]e^{-Bx}\,A\,e^{Bx}=A+x[A,B][/tex]

Regards,

nazzard

Thanks for your answer but I don't get it at all. When calculating the derivative of f(x), should I keep in mind that the operators could depend on x? If A and B commutes, then I could prove it just like with ordinary numbers, right? So suppose that A and B do not commute. Calculating df/dx and solving the differential equation just gives me the originally defined f(x)...? Isn't the easiest way to prove it by using the series expansion of e^A?

Treat the operators A and B as if they would not depend on x:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(e^{Ax}\,e^{Bx})=e^{Ax}\,A\,e^{Bx}+e^{Ax}\,e^{Bx}\,B[/tex]

[tex]=e^{Ax}\,e^{Bx}\,e^{-Bx}\,A\,e^{Bx}+e^{Ax}\,e^{Bx}\,B[/tex]

Now you can factor out f(x) and apply (*).

Last edited:
I solved it. Thanks. =)

1. How do you prove exponential rules for [A,B]=c?

To prove exponential rules for [A,B]=c, we need to use the properties of logarithms and exponential functions. We start by taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation, which allows us to rewrite the equation as ln[c]=ln[A]+ln[B]. Using the property of logarithms, we can then rewrite this as ln[c]=ln[A*B]. Finally, we take the exponential of both sides to get the final result, c=A*B.

2. What is the significance of proving exponential rules for [A,B]=c?

Proving exponential rules for [A,B]=c is crucial in understanding the relationship between exponential and logarithmic functions. It allows us to manipulate and solve equations involving these functions, which are commonly used in various fields of science and mathematics.

3. Can you provide an example of proving exponential rules for [A,B]=c?

Sure, let's say we have the equation 3^x*2^x=12. To prove this using exponential rules, we first take the natural logarithm of both sides, which gives us ln[12]=ln[3^x]+ln[2^x]. Using the property of logarithms, we can rewrite this as ln[12]=x*ln[3]+x*ln[2]. Then, we factor out the x to get ln[12]=x(ln[3]+ln[2]). Finally, we take the exponential of both sides to get the solution x=ln[12]/ln[3+2]=2.

4. What other types of equations can be solved using exponential rules?

Exponential rules can be used to solve equations involving exponential and logarithmic functions, such as equations in the form of a^x=b or log_a(b)=c. They can also be used to solve equations with multiple variables, such as a^x*b^y=c.

5. Are there any limitations to using exponential rules?

Exponential rules can only be applied to equations where the bases are the same. In other words, the equations should be in the form of a^x*b^x=c. If the bases are different, then other techniques, such as logarithms, may need to be used to solve the equation.