Exponents & Mods: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter Sam Anderson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of mods in exponents and provides examples of formalized expressions such as tetration and Knuth's up arrow notation. The question is about proving a specific equation involving mods and exponents.
Sam Anderson
Could somebody at least tell me about mods in exponents?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sam Anderson said:
Let 3^n denote 333... (n+1 threes in total)

Tetration already has a formalized expression.

[tex]^n3=3^{3^{...^3}}[/tex] with n 3's in the stack.

Or you can even use Knuth's up arrow notation. Exponentiation is denoted by 1 up arrow, and tetration by 2, so

[tex]^n3 = 3\uparrow\uparrow n[/tex]

So what's your question?

Mentallic said:
Tetration already has a formalized expression.

[tex]^n3=3^{3^{...^3}}[/tex] with n 3's in the stack.

Or you can even use Knuth's up arrow notation. Exponentiation is denoted by 1 up arrow, and tetration by 2, so

[tex]^n3 = 3\uparrow\uparrow n[/tex]

So what's your question?
Thanks for the quick reply, but I wasn't finished typing. I accidentally hit enter. Sorry.

Sam Anderson said:
Could somebody at least tell me about mods in exponents?

I could only guess what you're asking for, but if I were to guess, say you want to prove that [itex]^n3 \mod 10 = 7, n>1[/itex] we would do an inductive proof. I'll make it short and you can fill in the details, but essentially you start with the base case [itex]3^3 = 27[/itex] hence [itex]27 \mod 10 = 7[/itex] and we can then show by calculation that [itex]3^7 \mod 10 = 7[/itex] hence it must be true for all n.

1. What are exponents and mods?

Exponents are mathematical notation used to represent repeated multiplication of a number by itself. Mods (short for modular arithmetic) are a method of arithmetic where numbers "wrap around" after a certain value is reached.

2. How are exponents and mods related?

Exponents and mods are related because mods can be used to simplify large exponential calculations. They can also be used to find the remainder of an exponential calculation.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative exponent?

A positive exponent means that the base number is multiplied by itself a certain number of times. A negative exponent means that the base number is divided by itself a certain number of times.

4. How do you solve equations with exponents and mods?

To solve equations with exponents and mods, you can use the rules of exponents and the properties of mods to simplify the equation. You can also use a calculator or programming language that has built-in functions for exponents and mods.

5. What are some real-world applications of exponents and mods?

Exponents and mods have many real-world applications, such as in cryptography, computer science, and engineering. They are also used in fields such as finance, physics, and chemistry to represent large numbers or calculate probabilities.