1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponents notation

1. Feb 3, 2005 #1
    Hi
    I have a small question about exponents: when we write a^x (i will write it this way but i talk about the traditional notation) this means that the base is only a? I mean that if we have ba^x or -a^x then then these are equal to b(a^x) and -(a^x) ? These are also because of the order of operations? Generally if we want a "whole expression" to be raised in a power then we have to write it in a parentheses? So for example -2^2=-4 but (-2)^2=4 ?
    So we calculate this exponent and then do multiplications, divisions etc..?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2005 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i agree with you. i.e. i use the notation as you have said.

one remark: if you intend also to raise your base to fractional powers, like 1/2,

then you are particularly advised that, if you are dealing with real numbers, the base should be positive, since (-1)^*1/2) is not a real number.

i.e. in ordinary calculus courses about real numbers, in first and second year in most US universities, a^x should only be used when a is positive (or zero). I.e. if you intend a^x to be a function defiend for all real numbers x, or even for all rational numbers x, then a should be positive.

4. Feb 3, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it is based on "order of operations". -22= - 2*2= -4 because exponentiation takes precedence: it is -(2)(2). (-2)2= (-2)(-2)= 4 because of the parentheses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?