Solving Difficult Questions: Find x & y

• Thread starter sambarbarian
  • Start date
In summary, In question 1 x+y=5 and x^y+y^x=17. To find all possible values of x and y, one would need to solve the equation x+y=5. To find all possible values of x and y in question 2, one would need to solve the equation 16^2x+y+16^y+2x=1.
sambarbarian
Hey , guys . This problem was asked in an olympiard and i don't have a clue of how to solve it.

1) If x + y = 5 and x^y + y^x = 17 .. find all possible values of x and y .

2) 16^2x+y + 16^y+2x = 1 , find all possible values of x and y .

In the first question i tried to convert the whole equation into y but that didn't work.

In the second question i got to :- 16^x + 16^y = 16^-x-y .

Physics news on Phys.org
I assuming the problem means integer solutions

x + y = 5 means you should sub in 0,5 1,4 2,3 3,2 4,1 5,0 choices

then check more exotic ones -1, 6 ... but they would get dropped since only one term would be a fraction

2,3 and 3,2 solutions work for the first.

Perhaps you can use the same kind of analysis on the second one as well...

For first question, I believe that you have to show/explain that the only allowed solutions are ordered pairs of integers. Then the problem becomes trivial.

but we were'nt meant to do it by hit and trial ( it was specified )

sambarbarian said:
Hey , guys . This problem was asked in an olympiard and i don't have a clue of how to solve it.

1) If x + y = 5 and x^y + y^x = 17 .. find all possible values of x and y .

2) 16^2x+y + 16^y+2x = 1 , find all possible values of x and y .

In the first question i tried to convert the whole equation into y but that didn't work.

In the second question i got to :- 16^x + 16^y = 16^-x-y .

Question 2 is very unclear. Do you mean
[tex]16^2 x + y + 16^y + 2x = 1? [/tex] That is what is meant by what you wrote. Do you mean
[tex] 16^{2x} + y + 16^y + 2x = 1,[/tex]
or do you mean
[tex] 16^{2x+y} + 16^{y + 2x} = 1?[/tex] If you mean this last one USE PARENTHESES, like this: 16^(2x+y) + 16^(y+2x) = 1.

sambarbarian said:
but we were'nt meant to do it by hit and trial ( it was specified )

So you do it by analysis like I kind of did. One thing about these problems is that you have to think outside of the box meaning sometimes you use you intuition and not strictly follow the rules or perceived rules.

What got me interested in this problem was its similarity to solutions to the x^y = y^x equation that my friend who many many years ago was fascinated by (I have no idea why but it was his thing to do) and he was a US MAA champion.

I guess transforming the equation might help. Write y=5-x
Substitute y in the second equation, you get:
[tex]x^{(5-x)}+(5-x)^x=17[/tex]

Now you can put some constraints on the values of x. x cannot be greater than 5 and less than 0 because that would result in a fraction. Now substitute different values of x from 0 to 5.

Hope that helped.

ok , i got the first one , and the second one was 16^(2x+y) + 16^(y+2x) = 1.

sambarbarian said:
ok , i got the first one , and the second one was 16^(2x+y) + 16^(y+2x) = 1.

Are you sure it's not supposed to be

[tex]16^{2x+y}+16^{2y+x}=1[/tex]

Because what you've written is simply

[tex]2\cdot 16^{2x+y}=1[/tex]

1. How do I approach solving a difficult math problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Make sure to identify any given information and what is being asked to find. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. What strategies can I use to solve difficult equations?

There are several strategies you can use, such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. It's important to choose a strategy that works best for the specific equation and to check your answer to ensure it is correct.

3. How do I know if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use online tools or ask a teacher or tutor for assistance.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a difficult algebra problem?

If you get stuck, take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try using a different strategy or seeking help from a classmate or teacher.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice is key to improving your problem-solving skills. Try solving a variety of problems and challenge yourself with more difficult ones. You can also seek feedback from a teacher or tutor to identify areas for improvement.