Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Export or plagiarism.

1. Sep 24, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." You might want to keep your eye open for any effort to use your material for "advantage" --- grant applications, op-eds, the like.

Might as well add, "Plagiarism is the 'sincerest' form of imitation."

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  4. Sep 24, 2006 #3
    Well apparently Mike was playing an amusing game. He copied Fred Mooltens posts in myspace to here as "Solin4" and copied my replies back, actually elimating himself as player and making me discuss with Fred.

I have decided to be amused.

5. Sep 24, 2006 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Obviously this is not allowed. The thread in question will be deleted until we can get to the bottom of this.

6. Sep 24, 2006 #5
    Well that would be dissapointing. It is still fully active without further plagiarism

7. Sep 24, 2006 #6

Evo

If I delete Solin4's plagiarized posts, I would also have to remove quotes of his posts. That would leave a rather confusing thread.

Fred Moolton claims these are his posts and were not authorized to be copied.

I can perform surgery and extract your posts and those of other's, if you wish, and create a new thread, but it'll take a bit of time.

8. Sep 24, 2006 #7
    Whatever is feasible. Deleting the solin3/fred - andre/mike discussion would be fine. I think there is plenty left.

9. Sep 24, 2006 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Frankenstein's monster meets "Nip-Tuck."

10. Sep 24, 2006 #9

Evo

Done, please let me know if I have missed anything.

11. Sep 24, 2006 #10

Aether

Gold Member

That website is copyright protected. If Andre's original posts are deleted from PF, but not from that site as well, then he could wind-up being accused of plagiarism himself if he ever wanted to post the same thing again.

12. Sep 24, 2006 #11

Evo

What website? Not MySpace. I think you jumped to the wrong section.

http://www.myspace.com/Modules/Common/Pages/TermsConditions.aspx

"Proprietary Rights in Content on MySpace.com.
    6. MySpace.com does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post to the MySpace Services. After posting your Content to the MySpace Services, you continue to retain all ownership rights in such Content, and you continue to have the right to use your Content in any way you choose."

13. Sep 24, 2006 #12

Aether

Gold Member

This website forwards to a forum.myspace.com page where this copyright notice appears: "©2003-2006 MySpace.com. All Rights Reserved." As a result, the "you" referred to in the paragraph that you quoted from their "Proprietary Rights in Content..." policy could wind-up protecting "Mike's" interests over Andre's.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  14. Sep 24, 2006 #13

Evo

No, "Mike" has clearly violated MySpace's "Terms and Conditions" and if anyone reports him, the least that will happen is that "Mike" would be banned from MySpace.

Section 2 of MySpace Terms -

2. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on or through the MySpace Services or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of your Content on or through the MySpace Services does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person."

15. Sep 24, 2006 #14

Aether

Gold Member

How important is ownership of this content to you Andre? Do you care if "Mike" pops up later and claims that you stole this from him? How will you prove that you didn't? If it is not important to you at all, then fine. However, if it is important to you, then you need to do something about it while keeping in mind that your original posts are no longer here at PF for you to point to as evidence that you wrote those words.

16. Sep 24, 2006 #15

Evo

Andre's posts are here, the thread is open. I believe the other guy already reported the plagiarizer to MySpace.

17. Sep 24, 2006 #16

Aether

Gold Member

Ok, thank-you.

18. Sep 25, 2006 #17
    Since Evo was kind enough to resolve the problem, it seems irrelevant now. But nevertheless. I remember a thread here about the objective of the copyright policy of PF, to protect it's members, without the objective to prevent the original authors to use it elsewhere. So this gets rather important if somebody is going to notice that the same material is popping up in an article that we're (unofficially) invited (!) :smile: to write for Quartenary Science Review.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  19. Sep 25, 2006 #18

russ_watters

FYI, generally when we delete posts, we "soft-delete" them so that they are available to us for our reference. With the exception of the first post that was edited, all of solin3's posts still exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?