1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expresion for amplitude

1. Feb 22, 2006 #1
    Gents I have one question:

If I have expresion for amplitude of some process and this amplitude has pole, I say I have particle caryring such features (suppose mass that makes this pole), if I change some parameters in expression for amplitude and if I get another pole, I say in this case there is particle having anothe features. So my question is why poles in expressions correspond to particles?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2006 #2
    Because the field theory describes the dynamics of particles with a mass m. The pole comes from the equality of the norm of the four-momentum and square of the mass in the denominator. The quantised field will only create particles with mass m but the norm norm of the four-momentum of the field at some point doesn't have to be equal to the square of the physical mass of the particle it describes.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?