Q: Notation for Differentiable Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to express a set of real polynomials and a set of differentiable functions using function notation. The space of polynomials is denoted as F[x] and the set of differentiable functions is denoted as Cn(Ω). It is important to note that continuous and differentiable are not the same, as continuous functions do not necessarily have a derivative.
rudders93
Hi,

I was wondering, how can i express the following in notation (function notation i think it is? The one where we {(x,y) [tex]\in[/tex] R3 : x + y = 0}

Q: Set of real polynomials of any degree

Q: Set of all differentiable functions (which I guess just means continuous functions, but nevertheless not sure how to express this properly?)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rudders93,
I hope the following is what you are looking for (and free from errors)

The space of polynomials in a formal variable x over the field F is denoted
F[x] = { a0 + a1x +...+ anxn | aiF, n < ∞ }
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examples_of_vector_spaces#Polynomial_vector_spaces" on Wikipedia for more info.

Continuous does not mean the same as differentiable.
The set of real functions for which the nth derivative exists over the entire domain Ω⊆R is denoted
Cn(Ω) = { f:Ω→R | f'∈Cn-1(Ω) }
This is a recursive definition terminating with continuous functions
C0(Ω) = { f:Ω→R | limx→cf(x)=f(c) ∀ c∈Ω }
For more info see Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_function#Differentiability_classes"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_function"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of expressing a space in notation?

The purpose of expressing a space in notation is to provide a standardized and concise representation of a space or distance in a mathematical or scientific context. This allows for easier communication and comparison of measurements.

2. How is a space usually expressed in notation?

A space is typically expressed in notation using symbols such as letters, numbers, or mathematical operators. For example, the symbol "m" may represent meters, and the symbol "km" may represent kilometers.

3. What is the difference between expressing a space in notation and using units of measurement?

Expressing a space in notation generally refers to using symbols or mathematical expressions to represent a space or distance. Units of measurement, on the other hand, refer to a specific quantity or amount of a certain dimension. Notation is often used to express units of measurement, but it can also represent other types of spaces or distances.

4. Can different notations be used to express the same space?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to express the same space in notation. For example, the distance of 1 kilometer can also be represented as 1000 meters or 0.621 miles. The choice of notation may depend on the context or preference of the scientist using it.

5. How can notation be used to express very large or very small spaces?

Notation can be used to express very large or very small spaces by using scientific notation. This involves writing a number in the form of a decimal multiplied by a power of 10. For example, the distance from Earth to the Sun can be expressed as 1.496 x 10^11 meters.