Is it possible to express cos(40) as a radical?

• I
  • Thread starter neilparker62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary, cos(40) cannot be expressed as a radical or combination of radicals. The solution from WA for solving the equation involving cos(40) also gives solutions for cos(20) and cos(80). The polynomial Z^9 - 1 can be factored to get (z^6+z^3+1) (z^3-1), with the former being easy to solve. However, multiples of 10 degrees cannot be expressed in terms of radicals.
TL;DR Summary
Trying to find an expression for cos(40 degrees) (using any combination of radicals)
What sort of number is cos(40) ? You can solve the equation:

$$ 4 \cos^{3}40 -3\cos40+0,5=0 $$

but you end up with complex numbers requiring a cube root. The polar angle gets divided by 3 and you end up needing cos(20) or cos(10) in your answer. No way (it seems) to express as a radical or combination of radicals in any form .

The solution from WA is interesting. There are 3 solutions - as a 'bonus' for solving for cos(40), you also get answers for cos(20) and cos(80).

1629984571091.png

Likes Delta2
Mathematics news on Phys.org
cos(40) is the real part of z where z^9 is 1.
You can factor the polynomial Z^9 - 1. to get (z^6+z^3+1) (z^3-1) (see cyclotomic polynomial).
(z^6+z^3+1) is easy to solve, and will get you (cos(40)+sin(40)i) and (cos(80)+sin(80)i)

Likes neilparker62
willem2 said:
cos(40) is the real part of z where z^9 is 1.
You can factor the polynomial Z^9 - 1. to get (z^6+z^3+1) (z^3-1) (see cyclotomic polynomial).
(z^6+z^3+1) is easy to solve, and will get you (cos(40)+sin(40)i) and (cos(80)+sin(80)i)
I was hoping to find an expression for cos(40) in terms of radicals but it seems that won't be possible. I did find a wiki page on which angles could be expressed that way. Multiples of 10 don't seem to be on the list.

neilparker62 said:
I was hoping to find an expression for cos(40) in terms of radicals but it seems that won't be possible. I did find a wiki page on which angles could be expressed that way. Multiples of 10 don't seem to be on the list.
There are some multiples of 10° on the list, why do you think this is?
Degrees were invented by humans
## 180° \equiv \pi ##

Likes neilparker62

1. What does it mean to "express cos(40) as a radical"?

When we say "express cos(40) as a radical," we are asking for the simplified form of the cosine of 40 degrees, using a radical or square root symbol.

2. How do you express cos(40) as a radical?

To express cos(40) as a radical, we can use the trigonometric identity cos(2x) = 1 - 2sin²x. In this case, x = 20 degrees, so we have cos(40) = 1 - 2sin²20. Then, we can use the Pythagorean identity sin²x + cos²x = 1 to solve for sin²20 and simplify the expression to cos(40) = √3/2.

3. Why is it important to express cos(40) as a radical?

Expressing cos(40) as a radical can be useful in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying mathematical expressions. It also allows us to see the relationship between cosine and sine in a right triangle, as the cosine is equal to the square root of 1 minus the sine squared.

4. Can you use a calculator to express cos(40) as a radical?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a button for the cosine function (cos) and the radical function (√). You can enter cos(40) and then press the radical button to get the simplified form of cos(40) as a radical.

5. Is there a general formula for expressing cosine as a radical?

Yes, there is a general formula for expressing cosine as a radical. It is cos(x) = √(1 - sin²x). This formula can be derived from the Pythagorean identity and the double angle identity for cosine. It can be used to express any cosine value as a radical, not just cos(40).