Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining an expression for the operator of coordinate in momentum representation by using the definition of average coordinate and expressing wave functions as wave packets in terms of plane waves. The conversation also mentions the use of operators to make x and p appear in front of the plane wave, and the importance of different equivalent variables in solving problems.
Ed Quanta

Homework Statement

1. Obtain an expression for operator of coordinate in momentum representation. To this end
begin with definition of the average coordinate
x = ∫ψ*(x)xψ(x)dx
express the wave functions as wave packets in terms of plane waves, and rewrite the
expression for average coordinate in such a way that it would have a form of an operator
acting on the wave functions in the momentum representation.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Where do I start? I'm not sure what the question is even asking.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of an operator O(p) might you apply to a plane wave exp(i*p*x) to create an expectation value integral like you have written?

I would apply an x operator. I don't see the point though.

Exactly. But you want to express the x operator in terms of p. Here's big hint. How do you express the p operator in terms of x? The point is that the same problem can be expressed in different equivalent variables. And problems that can be hard in one variable are easy in another. This is practice. That's the point.

Last edited:
So I just use the fact that <p>=d<x>/dt and that is the whole problem?

How can you compute <x> and <p> as functions of time?

You didn't answer my 'hint' about what the operator p looks like in the x-representation. If you want to show x and p don't commute, how do you represent p?

well we would represent p by (h bar/i)*d/dx to show x and p do not commute

Great! That's p in x-representation. Now take a plane wave and apply that and see how it 'pulls down' p. Then think of a way to 'pull down' x using an operator written in terms of p.

x = ∫(p/h bar*i) dp ?

I am not sure how to represent x in terms of p

What is the form of a plane wave solution?

Isn't the plane wave of the form exp(i(kx- wt))?

Yes. Now apply the p operator you sent me (the d/dx one).

so i get hk*exp(i(kx-wt)) and hk = p by deBroglie relations,correct?

Right again! Now in the same way define an operator using p that will make x appear in front of the plane wave.

The thing is that p is not in the exponent expression. I could pull out x using the operator -i*d/dk and d/dk=h*d/dp. But then I would have to express k in the exponent as k=p/h.

I don't see why that should pose a problem?

I think I got it now. Thanks. Muchly appreciated.

1. What is the "Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation"?

The "Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation" refers to a mathematical expression used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between the position and momentum of a particle.

2. How is the "Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation" derived?

The "Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation" is derived using the Fourier transform, which converts a wave function from the position representation to the momentum representation.

3. What is the significance of the "Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation" in quantum mechanics?

The "Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation" is significant because it allows us to describe the properties of a quantum particle in terms of its position and momentum, which are complementary variables in quantum mechanics.

4. Can the "Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation" be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, the "Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation" can be applied to all quantum systems, as it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation"?

One limitation of using the "Express for Operator of coordinate in momentum representation" is that it only applies to systems that have a well-defined momentum, which is not always the case for all quantum systems.