1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing a Wiener process with indicator functions.

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that [itex]W_t[/itex] is a Wiener process (i.e. standard Brownian Motion).

Is it true that [itex]W_t = \mathbf{1}_{\{W_t \geq 0\}}W_t + \mathbf{1}_{\{W_t < 0\}}W_t[/itex] ?

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea. This isn't even homework it's part of my attempt of a solution to a homework problem. It feels correct, as the LHS = RHS in every possible state of the world. But stochastics has surprised me before!

We can at least show that they're equal in distribution, by checking if some of the conditions for a Wiener process hold:

[itex]\text{var}(\mathbf{1}_{\{W_t \geq 0\}}W_t + \mathbf{1}_{\{W_t < 0\}}W_t) = (\mathbf{1}_{\{W_t \geq 0\}}W_t)^2 + (\mathbf{1}_{\{W_t < 0\}}W_t)^2[/itex]
    [itex] =\mathbf{1}_{\{W_t \geq 0\}}t + \mathbf{1}_{\{W_t < 0\}}t [/itex]
    [itex]= t[/itex]

That's good. Also;

[itex]E[\mathbf{1}_{\{W_t \geq 0\}}W_t + \mathbf{1}_{\{W_t < 0\}}W_t | \mathscr{F}_0] [/itex]
    [itex] = 0[/itex]

Which is also good. Then the next steps would be to show that it's continuous everywhere and that increments are stationary and independent.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?