1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing as a single sum.

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
    I know this is pretty easy, but for this particular question I'm having difficulty.
    its for the Power series solution of the DE y''+yx=0

\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {(n - 1)nC_n } x^{n - 2} + \sum\limits_0^\infty {C_n } x^{n + 1} [/tex]

This is ths sum I've come up with and I need to express it as a single sum. I can't seem to do it though. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2
    Well, what do you know about the sum of series with the same indices?
  4. Oct 17, 2005 #3
    The index of your first sum is not correct.

Remember that every time you take a derivative you loose a constant term.

After you correct your index you can then change it to something more desirable.
  5. Oct 17, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Incidentally, if you didn't know, your DE is just a variant Airy's Equation (with x replaced by -x) and represents waves propagating in a medium whose properties (index of refraction, water depth, etc.) vary linearly in space.
  6. Oct 17, 2005 #5
    Excellent. Thanks for the help.

I believe we study Airy's equations in greater detail later on in the course. We touched on them briefly in my Quantum Physics class last semester though. :D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?