Expressing force as a vector

In summary, the force due to a charge Q of +1.5*10^-7C located at (-6cm,0cm) on a test charge of +1 C located at the origin is 3.746*10^5 N in the +x direction. If the test charge is located at (0,7), the force would be expressed as +(3.746*10^5 N)i + 0 j.
yoleven

Homework Statement

I have a charge Q of +1.5*10^-7C located at co-ordinates (x,Y) (-6cm,0cm)
what is the force due to Q on a test charge of +1 C at the origin. Expressed as a vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

F= [tex]\frac{\kappa*Q1*Q2}{r^2}[/tex]

F= [tex]\frac{8.99*10^{9}*1.5*10^{-7}*1}{.06^{2}}[/tex]

F= 3.746*10 [tex]^{5}[/tex] N repulsive force.

How do I express this in [tex]\widehat{i}[/tex], [tex]\widehat{j}[/tex] unit vector notation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your vector coordinates are (-6,0) making the repulsive force -x.

I'd say then it's:
F = - (your answer) i + 0 j

Okay, thanks. What if the test charge wasn't located at the origin but at (0,7) so that it made a right triangle with Q.
Could I "move" the test charge to the origin and calculate the x coordinate and then "move" Q to the origin and calculate the y coordinate?
Or is this wrong?

The Force at the origin (0,0) is what you wanted isn't it.

It's repulsive from the (-6,0) charge, so then at the origin it will be +x directed, not -x directed as it is on the charge at (-6,0).

So in that case the repulsive force is F = +(your answer) i + 0 j

1. What is a vector in terms of force?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In the context of force, a vector represents the strength and direction in which a force is applied.

2. How is force expressed as a vector?

Force is expressed as a vector by using a coordinate system to represent the direction and magnitude of the force. This can be done graphically using arrows or mathematically using components.

3. Why is it important to express force as a vector?

Expressing force as a vector allows us to accurately represent and analyze the effects of multiple forces acting on an object. It also allows us to calculate the net force and its resulting motion.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity only has magnitude, while a vector quantity has magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include time and temperature, while examples of vector quantities include force and velocity.

5. How does the direction of a force affect its resulting motion?

The direction of a force affects its resulting motion because forces in different directions can cancel each other out or combine to create a net force with a different direction. This ultimately determines the direction and magnitude of the object's acceleration.