Expressing geometrically the nth roots of a complex number on a circle

• Thread starter 5hassay
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Let [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex]. Prove that [itex]z^{1/n}[/itex] can be expressed geometrically as [itex]n[/itex] equally spaced points on the circle [itex]x^2 + y^2 = |z|^2[/itex], where [itex]|z|=|a+bi|=\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/itex], the modulus of [itex]z[/itex].

Homework Equations

//

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I am confused with the question.

I understand that

[itex]z^{1/n} = |z|^{1/n} (\cos(\frac{\theta}{n} + \frac{2k\pi}{n}) + \sin(\frac{\theta}{n} + \frac{2k\pi}{n}) i)[/itex]

for [itex]k=0,1,\ldots,n-1[/itex], where [itex]\theta=\mathrm{Arg}(z)[/itex].

Yet, my confusion is this: Each above complex number we get for each [itex]k[/itex] will produce a complex number with modulus [itex]|z|^{1/n}[/itex]. Because the given circle is of radius [itex]|z|[/itex], I cannot see how any of these complex numbers can lie on it for a arbitrary complex number [itex]z[/itex].

Where is my confusion lying, or is there a mistake in this question? I had asked the question giver, but they explained that the modulus didn't matter for plotting on such circle, which didn't make sense...

Thanks you.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex]. Prove that [itex]z^{1/n}[/itex] can be expressed geometrically as [itex]n[/itex] equally spaced points on the circle [itex]x^2 + y^2 = |z|^2[/itex], where [itex]|z|=|a+bi|=\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/itex], the modulus of [itex]z[/itex].

Homework Equations

//

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I am confused with the question.

I understand that

[itex]z^{1/n} = |z|^{1/n} (\cos(\frac{\theta}{n} + \frac{2k\pi}{n}) + \sin(\frac{\theta}{n} + \frac{2k\pi}{n}) i)[/itex]

for [itex]k=0,1,\ldots,n-1[/itex], where [itex]\theta=\mathrm{Arg}(z)[/itex].

Yet, my confusion is this: Each above complex number we get for each [itex]k[/itex] will produce a complex number with modulus [itex]|z|^{1/n}[/itex]. Because the given circle is of radius [itex]|z|[/itex], I cannot see how any of these complex numbers can lie on it for a arbitrary complex number [itex]z[/itex].

Where is my confusion lying, or is there a mistake in this question? I had asked the question giver, but they explained that the modulus didn't matter for plotting on such circle, which didn't make sense...

Thanks you.

I agree with you. E.g. If you put z=2 and n=2 then the values of 2^(1/2) are sqrt(2) and -sqrt(2). They lie on the circle of radius sqrt(2) not the circle of radius 2. The question is bad.

I agree with you. E.g. If you put z=2 and n=2 then the values of 2^(1/2) are sqrt(2) and -sqrt(2). They lie on the circle of radius sqrt(2) not the circle of radius 2. The question is bad.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking. Thanks for the reply