1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing Sine Signal as Cosine?

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    Apologies for my other threads. My browser had a weird hiccup and now somehow there are many that are empty. Please delete the others! Sorry!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to express the real part of e^(-t)*sin(3t + ∏) in the form e^(αt)*A*cos(ωt + θ) where A, α, ω and θ are all real numbers.

2. Relevant equations

See above. Also, Euler's Formula: e^jθ = cosθ + jsinθ

3. The attempt at a solution

My efforts so far have given me the following:

Use Euler's Formula to convert: (cos(-t) + jsin(-t))*(sin(3t + ∏)

(cos(t) - jsin(t))*(sin(3t + ∏))

cos(t)sin(3t + ∏) + jsin(t)*sin(3t + ∏)

Since the later part of the sum is imaginary...

cos(t)sin(3t + ∏)

Now, I have two questions: 1) Have I erred in using Euler's formula with no complex number j in the exponent initially? 2) What more is there to be done? I thought about initially trying to re-express in a single step knowing that sinx = cos(x - pi/2), but graphing the two did not seem to yield identical results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you have erred by using Euler's formula with no j. Since everything else in the problem is real, you should let t be complex. Write t=b+cj. Use sin(z)=(e^(jz)-e^(-jz))/(2j).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted