Calculating Velocities and Times in a River Current: Solving for t in terms of c

• Thread starter alexsphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the problem asks for an equation that describes the distance traveled by a log at a constant speed over time. The variables are t and c, and the equation is L(c+t) = v_r\cdot (c+t).
alexsphysics
Homework Statement
While a boat cruises down a river it crosses a wooden log at a particular point in time. Then the boat travels along the river for time c and reverses its direction to travel upstream for a time t, when it meets the same wooden log, which has been freely drifting along all the while. If the engine of the boat has been working at the same power level throughout its journey then express t in terms of c.
Relevant Equations
I'm really not sure as to how I should be interpreting expressing t in terms of c. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
I'm really not sure as to how I should be interpreting expressing t in terms of c. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show us your efforts. No idea is no reason. Have you drawn a picture? What do you know about velocity? Which variables do we have? There is a lot to start with.

fresh_42 said:
You have to show us your efforts. No idea is no reason. Have you drawn a picture? What do you know about velocity? Which variables do we have? There is a lot to start with.
I know that velocity is the change in the position of an object divided by the time, and the variables are t and c and it's asking to express t in terms of c, but what place does velocity have in this problem?

You have a river with a velocity, a boat with velocity, and three points on this river: the log for the first time, the turning point, and the log for the second time. This gives you a couple of equations. The formula for the distance ##x## traveled at a constant speed ##v## is ##x(s)=v\cdot s + x_0## where I used ##s## for the time on a clock, because you already used ##t## for something else, a certain duration. ##x_0## is the starting distance from the origin, depending on when you start the clock. I would set ##x_0=0## as the first encounter of the log.

• Informative
Likes alexsphysics
fresh_42 said:
You have a river with a velocity, a boat with velocity, and three points on this river: the log for the first time, the turning point, and the log for the second time. This gives you a couple of equations. The formula for the distance ##x## traveled at a constant speed ##v## is ##x(s)=v\cdot s + x_0## where I used ##s## for the time on a clock, because you already used ##t## for something else, a certain duration. ##x_0## is the starting distance from the origin, depending on when you start the clock. I would set ##x_0=0## as the first encounter of the log.
I really am confused as to how I should continue from there

What are the velocities? Say the river floats at a speed of ##v_r## and the boat drives at ##v_b##. Then we have ##v_b+v_r## as the speed along the river and ##-v_b+v_r## against the current. You also know the times necessary for the distances: ##c## along the current, ##t## upstream. The log travels at the speed of ##v_r##, and its distance is ##L(c+t) = v_r\cdot (c+t)##. You get similar equations for the boat. When they meet for the second time, ##L(c+t)## equals the position of the boat.

Likes alexsphysics
fresh_42 said:
What are the velocities? Say the river floats at a speed of ##v_r## and the boat drives at ##v_b##. Then we have ##v_b+v_r## as the speed along the river and ##-v_b+v_r## against the current. You also know the times necessary for the distances: ##c## along the current, ##t## upstream. The log travels at the speed of ##v_r##, and its distance is ##L(c+t) = v_r\cdot (c+t)##. You get similar equations for the boat. When they meet for the second time, ##L(c+t)## equals the position of the boat.
Thanks!

What does it mean to "express t in terms of c"?

Expressing t in terms of c means finding a mathematical relationship between the variable t and the variable c. This can be done through algebraic manipulation or by using a given equation.

Why is it important to express t in terms of c?

Expressing t in terms of c allows for a better understanding of the relationship between the two variables. It also allows for easier manipulation and substitution of values in equations.

Is it always possible to express t in terms of c?

No, it is not always possible to express t in terms of c. It depends on the given equation and the relationship between the variables. Some equations may have multiple possible expressions of t in terms of c.

How can I express t in terms of c?

To express t in terms of c, you can use algebraic manipulation techniques such as isolating t on one side of the equation or using inverse operations. You can also use a given equation and substitute values for the variables to solve for t in terms of c.

What are some real-life applications of expressing t in terms of c?

Expressing t in terms of c is commonly used in physics and engineering to understand the relationship between different variables, such as time and distance, or speed and acceleration. It can also be used in financial and business calculations to determine the relationship between variables such as cost and revenue.